Airstream 190??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvwanderer

Hello

I am considering downsizing to a Class C in the near future and I have been looking at the '93-'96 Airstream 190. It is about the right size that I need, considering my budget to spend on an RV. My question is, would the 7.5L (460 CID) Ford engine be enough to pull a tow dolly with a 92 Accord? I do a LOT of traveling, going through mountains quite frequently. That engine has 240 hp (180 kW), which would seem to me to be able to do the job as I travel fairly light.

Just wondering if anyone has any input, there is not much about those model Airstreams on the internet. So far, the most negative thing I have heard is that they can be a little top heavy, therefore a little scary to drive.

Thanks very much.
Shaun.

I had a 1996 36 foot motorhome with the Ford 460 and it moved coach and toad fine.

I would try for the 1996 end of your range, as the  electronics and fuel management improved greatly during those years. I believe all of the 460's after 19932 were fuel injected, though, and that is the biggest improvement. Early 460's were plagues by fuel pump failures and Ford finally redesigned the pump in 1995 or early 96. Most all surviving 460's have already had the fuel pump replaced by now, though.  And the 460's of that era can be substantially improved in performance with a Banks ( or similar brand) Power Pack - exhaust and intake upgrades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom