Right of way on the highways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
>> Another pet peeve of mine is those that hang in your blind spot forever. <<
Oh yeah, I recognize them. The worst ones are the ones that you move over for and then they stay in the blind spot. I have a good friend who is a trucker and when I get to venting he says "and you thought my job was easy".

Woody

Karl said:
I think we've all had those wonderful experiences :mad:  Another pet peeve of mine is those that hang in your blind spot forever. Maybe that's why those Roman chariots had sabres mounted on the wheels! ;D

Maybe we need those attachments James Bond had on the wheels of his Aston Martin! ;D

LOL John, I installed mine myself. She doesn't know it's a fake, but the mere threat of ejection does the trick.

Sure thing Jeff.

Attachments

• eject.jpg
    eject.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 34
Tom said:
I have the eject button for when Chris nags me.

Tom,

I'll bet you never get to use it. Chris probably has a shute ready to go and will land on top of you like a wounded banshee! ;D ;D

John In Detroit said:
Ah, so I see you for instalation :)

Only if you don't mind me drilling holes in the dash of your new coach.

I have not drilled any holes in the dash yet,,, But I have mounted two 2-way radios on the wall (Drilling into wood) and drilled a hole in the firewall to pass one antenna wire, and in the mirror mount to mount said antenna (2-mtr/440 antenna, the CB antenna is inside the MH behind the couch, no holes needed) and drilled to route the wire for the Rig-RUnner (power strip that powers everythign)

As for dash mounted... So far the only things I have on the dash used existing screws, since they are temporary instalations

One fun item on my dash is the GARMIN GPS... Where I'm at, I carefully downloaded and printed out directions... And left them at home

Thankfully I left the E-mail with the GPS numbers on the server so was able to log in via cell and get them, Programmed up the old E-Trex and more or less went where it pointed (Ok, Ok, so it pointed in a direction the road did not go, but I went one way till it pointed off to the side, then turned, and so on)  Watched the distance to target indicator... When it was getting down below a mile there was a drive way on my left (The arrow pointed left) and ... Over the driveway was a sign.... The name of the desitnation !!!!

Worked really nice it did,  Could not have done it as easily if I'd had remembered the directions (THankfully I did remember which freeway exit, the only thing the Garman did not help with)

Thanks all for a great discussion on this subject.

"Just slow down a bit and let them in."

I believe we all agree with that.

But I still believe this is a subject about which few people know the correct answers.

Smoky said:
Thanks all for a great discussion on this subject.

"Just slow down a bit and let them in."

I believe we all agree with that.

But I still believe this is a subject about which few people know the correct answers.

Either they don't know the correct answer or they choose to be an ignorant rude hazardous driver. ;D

Smokey,
I agree with you, merging traffic should use the on ramp also referred to as the "accelleration ramp" properly and adjust speed accordingly.  That is what they are designed for.  It really gets my goat when I am traveling behind someone who will go 40 or 45 mph up the ramp, knowing that the traffic on the interstate is traveling at 70 minimum, but what can we do.  Intersections are a bit of a different story it seems in Georgia now.  These politicians have decided to have yeild signs, for right turning traffic, installed at intersections which already have traffic control devices, such as lights.  I spoke with a Deputy Sherriff that I attend church with to find out about these yeild signs.  He informed me that when a motorist is making a right turn with a green light he is to yeild to all other traffic.  Can you beleive this????  I was always taught that straight and right turning vehicles have the right of way at these type intersections, and the individual turning left was to yeild.  According to the Deputy, the reason for the yeild signs, is so that traffic will not back up so badly.  I personally do not agree with this.

Lee

Hello Lee:

>> It really gets my goat when I am traveling behind someone who will go 40 or 45 mph up the ramp, knowing that the traffic on the interstate is traveling at 70 minimum, but what can we do.
====
When I am following someone on a merging traffic ramp, I am also a totally frustrated when a vehicle in front of me creeps along (or sometimes actually stops) waiting for the traffic to pass. Am equally miffed if I am in the 1st traffic lane and see the merging vehicle creeping along - and not even looking at the moving traffic. They should have a sign painted on their vehicle reading, "Guess what I am about to do".

You must have different laws than CA (most states do). If the laws are obeyed (and that is infrequent with truckers or many RVers), the 1st lane after the on ramp would rarely be driving over 55-60. The speed limit is 55 for any 3 axle vehicle or for any vehicle pulling a trailer of any kind and they are required to be in that lane -- unless there are 4 lanes total. So in CA, no one is expected to get up to "at least" 70 to merge. When pulling my toad, 55 mph is as fast as I am allowed to drive -- either on the freeway or merging onto the freeway. I'm sure I could drive a bit faster to merge -- but not up to 70 plus.

That said, if entering one of our isolated stretches of 2 lane freeway as one finds in the high desert, the traffic in the 1st lane will sometimes be moving right along - to hell with the speed laws. In that case, "I" am the one that moves slowly up that merging ramp waiting for an opening. I for sure am not going to floorboard my rig to try to get up to 70-80 mph to merge. Most ramps I have experienced don't have that much room anyway.

Of course, when I was driving my 300ZX, whatever speed I needed to merge I just pushed the pedal accordingly . . .  ;)

Bob Buchanan said:
Most ramps I have experienced don't have that much room anyway.

Another of my phobias Bob; Some ramps are way too short to get up to speed even in my car.

Ron:

How true!

Lee:

That Georgia law is absoluteley astonishing!  I am speechless! :eek: :eek:

Tom and Bob:

As always, common sense and safety always overules the rules! ;D

Hey, folks, listen up. I agree with what you're all saying. There are a lot of idiot drivers out there and every day more of them get licenses & cell phones to talk on while they drive & eat. What a whacky world. It's dangerous, really. To give you a prime example, I investigated accidents for a living & wrote a lot of tickets (hope I didn't get any of you). More than once I had people tell me they "saw the yield sign but the guy didn't yield to me." WELL, DUH, if you can see the yield sign it means YOU have to yield. They're really out there, folks, so be careful.

I guess I am somewhat influenced by my boating education (USCG licensed 100 ton master).  Coast Guard regulations have VERY clear definitions of who has the right of way and strongly state that whoever has right of way should not slow but should continue at present speed and even sound 5 warning blasts if the non right of way party refuses to yield.  This may sound discourteous, but it is actually a very safe practice and boaters, as a rule, have much less ambiguity about their right of way then do today's auto drivers.

Ah, Smokey, you forget the Gross Tonnage and The General Prudential Rules.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom