Camper size again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petaone

I already have an 8.5 foot camper. I am looking at getting a new truck and am wondering if I can get away with a short bed 6.5 foot. The camper is well below the 3/4 ton's weight capacity I am just wondering about the additional length?

Almost every time I've seen a slide-in overhang a pickup it has needed the addition of air bags on the rear. It's so common that the techs normally will check to see if the truck is scheduled for air bag installation. If not they'll talk to the sales person about it. A couple of times the unit was placed on the truck and the owner couldn't safely drive it. With the shorter bed there's more weight behind the rear axle. You might get away with it but I'd be prepared to add the air bags. Also be sure you can still tie it down properly. The tie down mounts will be located further back on the rear. If you're using Happy Jacks you might need longer threaded rods.

You may already havce a truck, but...  Check the COG sticker, measure the distance from the front of the TC to that sticker, now measure the truck bed, that sticker needs to be at or ahead of your axle.  If behind it puts too much weight on the rear and lightens the front axles to the point of affecting the handling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom