What kind of van is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexP

Hello everyone,

I am new to the world of RV's, and am considering buying an old camper van.  Here are some pictures of one that I like, but I can't contact the owner right now.  From what I know, it is a 79 Dodge.  Does anyone know what model this is, or any information about it?

http://picasaweb.google.com/Alex.Popesco/RV

Thanks!

[edit]Made link clickable[/edit]

That's a Champion Trans-van it was made in Imlay city Michigan in the seventies they are like a class b and feature long bench seat running down the sides and IIRC a small sink.
we used to visit the factory when i was younger.

Wow does that bring  back memories... 1980, Rebublician National Primary was held here in Detroit,  An origination was formed to promote both Michigan and Public Transportation, A fleet of Trans-Vans was donated to them.  The vans were staffed by a 2 person team, a driver (Often a ham radio operator) and a communications officer (Always a Ham radio operator) we used the "Edison" repeater (Now the RADAR) on 145.33 Mhz (output) to dispatch the vans to pick up many of the republician governors and/or their Staff (Michigan and Ohio the Governor had his own limo but his staff road with us) I was one of the comm-officers.

One of the fun parts was when the convention was over, Jack McAdams called me to find out the best way to the airport, (He was "Net Control" Another name for dispatcher) I told him of the overturned garbage truck and gave him an alternate route that was, under the conditions, much faster.  So all those who took the "Unicorn fleet" as we called the trans vans (You see the only place we could stick our mag-mount antennas was on the hood since the rest of the rig was fiberglass, hence the "Unicorn") got to avoid the mess, where as Regan and Ford,,, Got to ride right through the mess.  The governors of Mich and Ohio did not go that way so they missed the fun.

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.. But alas... They did

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom