What a ride!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caltex

For those who have seen the entrance to Morro Bay California (I know Tom has been in and out that entrance several times as have I), these photos I received from a friend can be understood.  That particular entrance to the ocean/bay depending on which way you are passing can get very scary.

Last December 4th, a U.S. Coast Guard  47-foot Motor Life Boat was out for practice maneuvers in the large surf, which is not unusual.  However, a large wave hit that was probably more  than they bargained for.  The photos were taken with a long lens, so they look a lot closer to the beach than they actually were. 

Very brave fellows.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpeg
    Picture1.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture2.jpeg
    Picture2.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture3.jpeg
    Picture3.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 63
  • Picture4.jpeg
    Picture4.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture5.jpeg
    Picture5.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 59
These are the rest of the pictures.

Attachments

• Picture6.jpeg
    Picture6.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Picture7.jpeg
    Picture7.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Picture8.jpeg
    Picture8.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture9.jpeg
    Picture9.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture10.jpeg
    Picture10.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 57
Aye Robert, that can be a really tricky entrance. The walls of the Morro Bay Yacht Club are covered with photos  of wrecks at the harbor entrance. One famous one is the 110 foot boat belonging to George C. Scott, the actor. It's vertical, bow down in the entrance. Apparently, he forced his skipper to go over the bar in very bad conditions.

That is something else.  That could be one of their new boats that will roll over and come right back up again.  They say they cant be sunk.

Robert,

I think the only way I'd want to go through that passage is on the Coast Guard boat!!! :) I think there's a similar passage near NYC called Hell's Gate that can be quite intimidating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asteg1000
Back
Top Bottom