Is the retractable tow curtain effective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billsky007

This is a 8' x 7' curtain mounted horizontally from the motorhome to the toad.  Is this overkill?  Is there a better solution?

I have a Protect-A-Tow (curtain, as you call it) and I like it.  I only wish I had had it installed when I went to Alaska.  There are several protective techniques and devices out there that work. 

Overkill ??  that's a matter of opinion .  What's the value of your toad? .

We have never used one ourselves but the two folks that used one indicated the exhaust burned a hole in the tow curtain and they had to quit trying to use it.  Both had diesel pushers.

Blue Ox calls it the "Rv Underskirt... It's not "Retractable" but you  can "Bunch it up" for storage, I do this

And it's like this 2006 when I got home I had to take my camp-fire extinguisher (A 1.5 gallon pressurized water sprayer) and pre-wash my towed's windshield before I could even unhook it, I mean it was that covered with dirt

November we installed the underskirt

2007 when I got home... I dropped, bunched the skirt, and was Good to go, no problems with crud on the window.

Hi OnaQwest.  I just looked up the Protect-a-tow and it looks simple and pretty good.  Did you have the exhaust problem to contend with?  We are going to Alaska with a diesel pusher and that's what got us looking around for protection.

billsky007 said:
Hi OnaQwest.  I just looked up the Protect-a-tow and it looks simple and pretty good.  Did you have the exhaust problem to contend with?  We are going to Alaska with a diesel pusher and that's what got us looking around for protection.

We used it going to Alaska in 2000.  Did a good job for the front of the vehicle above the curtain, but allowed a lot of dings below it.  Also had some side damage near front of toad.  The rocks do some strange things.

billsky007 said:
Hi OnaQwest.  I just looked up the Protect-a-tow and it looks simple and pretty good.  Did you have the exhaust problem to contend with?  We are going to Alaska with a diesel pusher and that's what got us looking around for protection.

I have and old gasser that exhausts out the side so I didn't have that problem.  I did read on their web site Q&A that they would work with customers to mitigate that problem.  lou

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom