Airstream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wever

New to the forum and looking for your opinions. We've been 'full-timers' for almost a year with a 31' Rockwood. OK trailer but a few downsides, for example: poor insulation, we need the plug in space heater on 24/7 if the temperature drops 55-60 degrees (the gas heater is super loud and inefficient) and the A.C. is on 24/7 if above 75-80 (again - LOUD). Small gas water heater (5 gal.) which mandates G.I. showers and long re-heat time. Kind of a PIA to trailer, (acts like a huge wind resistance/sail with > 15 mph head/crosswinds). The EFI circuit breaker pops like the old Eddie Arnold "Green Acres" series, ("don't start the coffee till I finish this email unless you want to reset the circuit breaker").

Down to the question: we're looking at /considering Airstreams, >25'. Hopefully someone out there has owned/experience with Airstreams. Any pros / cons out there on Airstreams????????

(we've already looked at Arctic Fox for insulation issue but the trailer is heavier and wind resistance issue is still there).

Thanks.

For more information than you could possibly ever want on Airstreams, go to the Airstream forums here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/

Airstream uses the same water heaters the other manufacturers use, so you won't likely see any difference.  Although, based on your description of the problem I think you may have something wrong with your water heater.  My old, gas only water heater can heat a tank of water from a cold start in less than 20 minutes when the outside temp is in the 30s. 

Personally, I think Airstreams are overrated.  There's no doubt they are good trailers, but they are certainly not the best value in a trailer.  But if it's what you want, I don't think you'll regret your purchase. 

As far as the towing issues go, what are you using to tow with, and what kind of hitch setup do you have?  If you have an inferior hitch, towing with a "less than capable" tow vehicle, you will never be happy with towing anything, including an Airstream.  Sounds like you need a good (or better) weight distributing hitch with a good anti-sway system.

As for the other issues, unless you start getting up into the higher end models of almost any of the trailer brands, you're going to have the issues with the insulation, water heater, etc.  You need to look at some trailers more appropriate for full-timing, that come with bigger water heaters, tanks, better insulation, etc.  This mostly starts happening with a move to a 5th wheel, but I'm sure there are TT's out there as well.

We have never owned an Airstream but The ones made by the original manufacturer were very good from folks we have talked to that own them.  However, while we were in TX one of our neighbors was telling me they had purchased a brand new Airstream, their sixth, in 2007 but sold it and bought a used one that was built by the original manufacturer and are now as happy as they had been before they bought the 2007.  Sorry I have no details as to what the issues were.

The "Draw" of the Airstream and, for that matter, the name itself, comes from it's aerodynamic design,

The only part of the units I really know anything about is the TV antenna.  Those are made by a company down on Ave. C in the city of Battle Creek, Michigan.  One of the engineers who works there is G2CWL,  Ken.  Who, before moving to the US and going to that job,  Spent some time in Her Majesty's Navy as a submariner.

The joke on the ham bands in B.C. was "When he makes a seal.. IT DON'T LEAK"

(Ken did not work on the seals though :) )

As far as the towing issues go, what are you using to tow with, and what kind of hitch setup do you have?  If you have an inferior hitch, towing with a "less than capable" tow vehicle, you will never be happy with towing anything, including an Airstream.  Sounds like you need a good (or better) weight distributing hitch with a good anti-sway system.

As for the other issues, unless you start getting up into the higher end models of almost any of the trailer brands, you're going to have the issues with the insulation, water heater, etc.  You need to look at some trailers more appropriate for full-timing, that come with bigger water heaters, tanks, better insulation, etc.  This mostly starts happening with a move to a 5th wheel, but I'm sure there are TT's out there as well.
Posted on: April 02, 2008, 04:36:37 AM Posted by: Curmudgeon

Answer: 2007 2500HD diesel (600 lbs torque) with top of the line ( $600) anti-sway bar and load distribution system. As far as  "You need to look at some trailers more appropriate for full-timing, that come with bigger water heaters, tanks, better insulation, etc.". What brand/model are you recommending, (no 5th wheel, please)?

Personally, I think Airstreams are overrated.  There's no doubt they are good trailers, but they are certainly not the best value in a trailer.
What's the best value in a trailer????????

Wever,

FYI, you don't need to change the color of the font to quote another message; Just click the Quote button. That light orange font is very hard to read.

Well, it sounds like you have a capable tow vehicle for sure, but when you say "top of the line" for the hitch system, I think you could be selling yourself a little short.  The Hensley Arrow is considered by many to be THE hitch to use.  It costs somewhere around $3000.00.  However, I'm not sure that's really your issue either.  I think you just might be expecting more than can actually be delivered overall.  I can't make a recommendation on a trailer for full-timing because I've never really looked into it.  I can say that I just don't think you'll ever be able to get all the stuff you want in a travel trailer.  There are just too many design limitations.  For example, in order to have a quieter AC system, you would probably have to have a basement model (one where the compressor is in a basement compartment).  In almost all travel trailers, there is no such thing as a basement compartment.  At best, there is a small pass through either in the front or back, and mabye a small "garage" compartment. 

As for wind resistance, there are only a few trailers that really take this into account.  The Airstream is obviously one as you've already noted.  Another option is the VR-1 by Keystone (http://www.keystone-v.com/) or the Trail Bay by R-Vision (http://www.trail-lite.com/trail-bay-travel-trailer-vnose.asp).  And there may be a few others out there.  Otherwise, a travel trailer is what it is.  I might suggest you attend a RV show when they come to your city (or surrounding areas), and ask the question of the dealers.

I agree with the others - Airstreams were the best of breed 20 years ago but now are just another trailer.  Appliances are no better or worse than most others. Insulation & furnishings are similar to others in their price class. They are a bit more aerodynamic than others, but the practical effect of that silver aero look is not a big factor, in my opinion. 

Heartland makes a well built trailer with an aero front end - see the Heartland North Trail on the manufacturer site and also HERE

wever said:
As far as the towing issues go, what are you using . . . . .

As for the other issues, unless you start getting . . . .

Posted on: April 02, 2008, 04:36:37 AM Posted by: Curmudgeon

Wever,
  What you are attributing to me is not my post.  Credit for that information goes to edjunior.

wever said:
Personally, I think Airstreams are overrated.  There's no doubt they are good trailers, but they are certainly not the best value in a trailer.
What's the best value in a trailer????????
Those are indeed my comments.  I have no idea what would be the best value in a trailer, other than that it would obviously be a used trailer.  I think it's a very personal thing.  When I say Airstream is not the best value, I simply mean that you can get something that will serve you just as well, and with which you will be just as satisfied, for a lot less money.  Now, if you could find a nice used Airstream at a bargain price, that would definitely qualify as a good value.  My personal preference is for vintage Holiday Ramblers from the mid-60s to the mid-80s.  I currently have two of them and am always keeping an eye out for more. 
-

Curmudgeon

Using orange lettering in your quotes makes them completely unreadable. The program software does a good job of highlighting quotes within any additional manipulation.

BernieD said:
Curmudgeon

Using orange lettering in your quotes makes them completely unreadable. The program software does a good job of highlighting quotes within any additional manipulation.

I agree with you completely, but it wasn't me who used orange.  I just hit the quote button and it came out the way the original author wrote it.  Orange.  I find it very difficult to read, especially against that lavender background.  I believe Tom has already mentioned the color to the author.  I would make an effort to change it for you, but I see no way to go back and edit that post. 

JP

Back
Top Bottom