RV Exterior Restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel G

Hi, everyone! 

The exterior of my 1996 Tropical is becoming very faded and dull.  I have obtained pricing from two local RV centers regarding a wash, wax, buff, etc. to try and restore some of the original luster and shine.  One price was $300 and the second was $600.  The decals are also weathered and I know that no amount of work will bring them back.  What are your thoughts and ideas?  For a supposedly equal treatment, $300 to$600 is a huge leap.  I also realize you get what you pay for in most instances. 

Also, what about the DIY products advertised?  Most of the forums I've checked indicate that there is a lot of snake oil with these products.

Your input will be appreciated.

Daniel G

This is what I buy for my wife  ;D . It does a good job.  They do make a flavor for heavy oxidation.

3M? Marine Cleaner and Wax  Designed to remove LIGHT to MEDIUM oxidation, clean, polish and protect fiberglass/gelcoat.

For around $300 you will likely get a routine detailing - I wouldn't expect much. $600 may get your finish restored, or it may just get your wallet lightened. Talk to each place and try to pin them down on the expected results (but don't be surprised if they get evasive - they seldom commit to actual results). Tell them what you expect and tell them you are going to be very picky about the job and see if they flinch.

I would use a marine type fiberglass finish restorer such as the 3M product and do it myself. It will take quite a few hours and is best spread over 3-4 days unless you are a really hard worker.

Better yet, get rid of the decals, spring for a fancy paint job and update the look as well as getting her shined up.

Daniel G said:
Your input will be appreciated.

My rig is a 96 also. While at the Riverside park in Laughlin about amonth ago I had my rig washed by their contract detailers. They charged $50. Their quote to buff and polish was $300 for my 34 footer. I needed that money for gas so did not have it done.

However; they suggested getting a bottle of a tire cleaner like Amoral to bring the decals back to life. In fact. they suggested doing the whole rig with the stuff. We did a section and it looked pretty good. I asked what the charge would be for the rig and they quoted 15 dollars. They used a leather/tire cleaner from a local Dollar store. They said Mop and Glow also works well.

Anyway. my rig and decals look a lot better until I can afford the money or time for a buff job.

Back
Top Bottom