Changes to RV Imports into the UK from 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

I recently read a UK Government document which may put an end to RVs being imported into the UK - or at the very least, severely limit choice.

The various motoring departments in the UK (VOSA, DFT, VCA) are phasing-in the EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval Scheme (ECWVTA).

A PDF leaflet can be viewed at : http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/ECWVTA%20leaflet.pdf - this is an older leaflet but you will see they actually have a motorhome pictured.

The full (boring) EC document : http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/sectionecwholevehicletype/statusofdirective.pdf

At the moment, motorhomes imported into the UK are excluded from any formal testing (other than random testing of dimensions etc).

The new ECWVTA scheme requires that every different make/model of vehicle has to pass a number of tests. These tests are completed by independant bodies and can cost SEVERAL THOUSAND POUNDS per vehicle make/model. Of course, you have to import the vehicle into the UK first, for it to be tested, and risk shipping it back should it fail.

For a large car manufacturer this testing is a small cost per vehicle when averaged out - but for a single personal RV import it would not make sense to do it.

Even if one of the large RV dealers in the UK decided to have a vehicle tested, THEY would then own the document confirming the vehicle has passed the tests.

If you wanted to import that same make/model you would have to pay for testing yourself (several thousand pounds) or pay that dealer for a copy of the report. How much do you think they will be charging a private importer (maybe several thousand pounds) ?

If the dealer is paying all this money for each of these tests/reports I think they will limit the range of vehicles they sell.

Wanting to understand the situation, I emailed the team administering ECWVTA and asked;

"Can you tell me if the new rules regarding ECWVTA relate to imported American motorhomes (RVs) from April 2012 (as they are currently exempt from testing). Also do the rules apply if the RV is imported under a Transfer of Residence scheme?"

Their reply clearly states;

"From 29 April 2012 all motorhomes submitted to DVLA for UK registration will first have to undergo an IVA inspection, similar to todays SVA. American motorhomes are unlikely to have type approval, which is the other possibility. There is no exemption for personal imports."

So, I think we are getting close to the end of new RVs being imported into the UK.

Of course, that should help the resale value on existing RVs as the supply dries up.

Paul

PS Also, anyone thinking of importing a HGV sized RV needs to be aware that the driving test is about to change and will be harder, so don't leave it too long to take the test.
[edit]Changed subject.[/edit]

Thanks for the info and links Paul. I've only read the shorter file and need to digest the larger one.

You Brits are losing your freedoms  and privacy faster than we Yanks. What with 1 spy camera for every 4 people, political correctness run amok, and now this.

Just another EC policy to prevent imports of American products. They started this on American aircraft 7-8 years ago with new certification and maintenance requirements outside ICAO requirements..

Just another EC policy to prevent imports of American products.

Jeff - you cant complain too much - we can't even bring an apple thru US Customs  ;D

You Brits are losing your freedoms

Bruce - you are certainly correct there. Unfortunately, our temperament doesn't allow us to "cause a fuss" about it and (as a Nation) we will just sit back and suffer it. Does make me think that all the anger which is building-up has to be unleashed at some point though.

Paul

Thanks for the heads up Paul, especially regarding the new driving test. :mad:

I've just bought an RV just over the 7.5 ton UK limit and so will need take it ASAP.

The salesman who sold it too me was surprised I'd need to take another driving test as I wouldn't need to in the US & that was great as I was able to take it on a test drive ;D

He was even more surprised that "younger" drivers would, after passing there driving test, only be allowed to drive vehicles upto 3.5 tonnes ( I think?) so would probably need to take 2 more tests before driving an RV over 7.5 tonnes ??? 

Just some more bureaucracy which equals more tax and more money out of our pockets  :mad:

Andy

Hi Paul
been through a SVA with a recovery truck ,took us 12 months because the converter  went bust.Glad that i dont intend to import the 5th wheel

I have to put my Chopper  bike that i am importing through a MSVA same sort of thing and theres a few things on that i will have to change.

Andy good luck with the driving test

Ian

APOLOGY

Having dug out further reading on the new Certificate of Professional Competence I came across an exemption which reads;

(f) Vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use.

So, hopefully RVers won't have to go thru the extra 2.5hrs of Theory work and extra 1/2hr during the Driving Test.

A good link can be read HERE

It will be interesting how they seperate the test for a handful of RVers from that for professional drivers.

Paul

The draft proposal for ECWVTA states that:-

The width permitted for Motor-Caravans is to be increased from 2.55m to 2.60m (that would make all 102" RVs legal).

The proposal also states the following items will be EXEMPT from measurement:-

- on motorhomes: "slide-out" sections,

- on motorhomes: awnings (including their support arms), provided that any part more than 1m from the ground does not exceed 50mm, and any part more than 2m from the ground does not exceed 100mm, from the side of the vehicle,

- grab handles for aiding access,

- handles and hinges of external lockers,

- trim or sealing strips provided they do not exceed 10mm from the side of the vehicle,

- retractable steps.

You can read further details at the RVOA website

What isn't clear is the current situation (as these proposals would start in April 2012).

Paul

UK-RV said:
"From 29 April 2012 all motorhomes submitted to DVLA for UK registration will first have to undergo an IVA inspection, similar to todays SVA. American motorhomes are unlikely to have type approval, which is the other possibility. There is no exemption for personal imports."

If this IVA is similar to an SVA then it may not be that big a deal. I looked into importing a ford mustang from the US and passing the SVA just involves a few changes to lights and payment of the fee. I cant remember the exact cost of this but it was in the region of ?200, not thousands.

If the width limit is to be increased to 2.60m then overall this may be a change for the better. I guess we'll have to see all the details first.
[edit]Fixed quote.[/edit]

In my opinion, the 50 & 100 mm exemptions for awnings and such probably isn't enough to be all that helpful.  Patio awnings can stick out quite a bit and I would guess that 150-175 mm would be closer to the norm.  You might want to check some samples.

I have tried to wade through the proposed changes to the regulations described in the excellent new RVOA site ROVA Website LINK HERE.

In general I think that I would generally welcome the clarification these provide to the current position on importation and registration of American RV's especially by private individuals. The clarification and apparent increase in width limits is especially welcome.

Perhaps someone who is more familiar with these proposals could clarify one problem that appears to remain which is the fee required to ensure a vehicle meets the proposed National Standards refered to in the consultation document. My reading is that these ammount to several thousand pounds. A motor caravan is a category M1 vehicle and Table 113 for the National Small Series Type Approval Scheme - total fee = about ?4500.
Does this mean that a private importer will be liable to this total fee?

Can anyone clarify?

Also is the newly formed RVOA contributing to the DFT consultation document?

Is it worth anyone else reponding as a private individual?

Comments on any or all of the above would be welcome to co-ordinate a response to this issue which surely affects most if not all UK members of this forum as well as members of RVOA.

UK-RV said:
Jeff - you cant complain too much - we can't even bring an apple thru US Customs  ;D

Shoot Paul, even Americans have a hard time taking apples into California, and do not even think of a Florida orange. 

Hi UK_AL

Firstly, thanks for the kind words re the RV Owners Association website. It was set-up to try and answer the type of enquiry you have.

To answer your questions (as best I can);

Also is the newly formed RVOA contributing to the DFT consultation document?

Yes, we are in consultation with the various Government departments with regard changes affecting RV ownership. We are also "campaigning for clarity" on several issues which have been less than clear for a long time now.

If you would like to contribute, please use our Contact form and let us know your thoughts.

Perhaps someone who is more familiar with these proposals could clarify one problem that appears to remain which is the fee required to ensure a vehicle meets the proposed National Standards refered to in the consultation document. My reading is that these ammount to several thousand pounds. A motor caravan is a category M1 vehicle and Table 113 for the National Small Series Type Approval Scheme - total fee = about ?4500.
Does this mean that a private importer will be liable to this total fee?

You will see that I made reference to this potentially crippling charge in another post on this forum.

Since then, I have discovered that Motor-Caravan owners will NOT have to meet all of the requirements of SVA (or IVA as it will be).

Motor-Caravans will be subject to a much shorter version of IVA, known as bIVA or Basic IVA. When I dig out the info I will post a link here.

There will still be a cost for the inspection etc but, as it is a slimmed down version of IVA, I wouldnt expect it to be anywhere near the figure your quoted. Again, once I know more I will post it on here and the RV Owners Association website.

Is it worth anyone else reponding as a private individual?

Is it worth it? - who knows.

The RVOA was set-up so that we, as owners, could liaise with Government on these important issues.

Unfortunately, when the dealers association in the UK began their discussions with Gov, they insisted that nobody else get involved and kept (even to this day) everything very close to their chest.

The RVOA believes that you have every right to do what you wish to protect your RVing lifestyle and would never warn you off doing something.

However, we would welcome your membership to the Association (which is free) so that we are able to convey the strength of the Association when dealing with Ministers etc.

Hope the above helps a little - any further questions, please fire away.

Paul Chatwin
Chairman
RVOA (UK)

Back
Top Bottom