Alaska Winter Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaska Trek

Hi, new to this forum and wanted to post some info which may help other folks. We live in Alaska and took delivery of our new 2008 Roadtrek 190 Versatile 4X4 earlier this winter down in the Midwest. We delayed the drive north back home until March since it was so brtually cold (-50 to -70F) earlier in February. Low temperature on the trip was 5F at night. The Suburban 16k BTU heater had no trouble keeping us warm at night. Used about 1/2 tank of propane for 4 nights - we like it cool for sleeping so thermostat was set at 55deg. The Chevy chassis with Quigley 4X4 conversion was wonderful. Performed very nice on some 10% grade hills south of Fort Nelson with 4X4 engaged in light snow. Traction outstanding with an aftermarket sticky tire upgrade.
Chevy 6 liter engine adequate for pulling this rig but its probably a good balance all things considered. Mileage in the Northwest, Canada, and Alaska rolling hills, mountain passes will never be as good as a cruise in the flat part of the country. But I was somewhat happy at 13.5 average mpg. About what a friend gets in his newer 3/4 ton Suburban. Ok, forgot to mention, we kept the cruise control glued about around 60-65 except on the seriously steep grades.
There are some other good brand class B's out there using the Chevy 3500 chassis also. From what I've seen so far - most will be happy with the chevy.
OK, I'm not in the industry, and I've owned several great Ford trucks along time ago.
Good Luck & safe travels.
Anchorage, AK

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting that info.

Welcome, Trek, and thanks for the very informative report. Hope you hang around - a lot of folks have questions about RVing in Alaska and you could be a big help.

Welcome to the RV Forum and thanks for joining us.  Please look around, ask questions, check out the library, and join in on any of the ongoing discussions.

Back
Top Bottom