Are we meant to RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Svenska

As some of you have read in my previous posts, we have owned our rv for about 8 weeks now.? We have had it in the shop for 2 of those eight weeks with some frustrating results.
Set off for the 4th of July weekend, were 60 miles from home when we were in an accident.? One injury in the van that caused the accident. Divine intervention as far as all others involved!
We were very lucky as we had our daughter and new grandson with us.
Anyway...........
The motorhome sustained some heavy damage to the front end as the woman driving the van careened into our lane and then slammed on her brakes.? The fresh water tank and transmission were also damaged from debris.
We are waiting to hear from our insurance appraiser and will just go from there.
Don't know what else to say except we will just hang in there.?
Feel kinda crummy right now.

Accidents do happen and there is little we can do to avoid them in most cases.  On the positive side, be glad you were in a motor home and not a small car or the outcome could have been much worse.

Please don't let these problems deter you from RVing.  They're just some stumbling blocks and when you get past them you will enjoy many miles of trouble free travel.

Svenska said:
Don't know what else to say except we will just hang in there.? Feel kinda crummy right now.

So sorry to hear of your accident.  It would be discouraging but I am glad for no more injuries than occurred.  We always say  RVing is a daily adventure.  Sounds like you had  a big  bad adventure that day. Please  keep us posted on the fixes for the problems as we all learn from others' misfortune.  Don't give up. 

Betty

Sorry to hear of your accident.  Fortunately you and your family are OK.  The RV can be repaired or replaced.  I know this is upsetting but hang in there.  I'm sure things will come together and you will have some enjoyable times RVing.  Please keep us updated on how the repairs are coming along.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. One does not need an incident like that and with your previous problems it makes it feel worse. The good news is nobody in your coach was injured! Unfortuately there are many fools driving vehicles without any regard or care about those around them.

Be sure the insurance investigator looks at everything on the rig. There can be hidden problems that will be missed if a thorough exam is not conducted.

Svenska said:
The motorhome sustained some heavy damage to the front end as the woman driving the van careened into our lane and then slammed on her brakes. 

From your description of the incident I am not sure it was an accident, Sounds like the woman WANTED you to run into her

This is a common scam, It is a variation of the "Swoop and Squat"  The classic is a group of cars. ONe gets right in front of you, another beside you so you can't swerve, and another in front ofthe one in front of you... USUALLY the one in front of you will have 4 (or more) passangers.  The car in front suddenly slows down, causing the driver between you and him to slam on the brakes and you to rear end him, Since in a rear end the one in the rear is generally considered to be "At Fault" (Even though in this case he's not) the occupants of the squat car get out and start maing moaning nad growing and talking about whiplash and back injuries and all that stuff.

The very best thing you can do is call the cops (Of course they will try to tell you not to do that) but you should.

Note: sometimes this scam works properly.. For example the one who squatted in front of a tank truck, causing it to jacknife and roll, killing one person.... The squatter (No other injuries)  This was a known swoop and squat artist, the Police did just about everything for the semi driver except buy his beer!  (They may well have bought his hamburger, I'm not sure)

I kind of figure that swoop & Squatters will look at a motor home, 100K plus and figgure "DEEP POCKETS"

So... All you can do is drive careful and have a witness (Co-Pilot) handy

Thanks everyone.? We aren't giving up.? We heard form the insurance company yesterday and will wait for the outcome from the adjuster.? We do have a second adjuster in the wings in case we do not agree with adjuster #1.?
My husbands biggest worry is that parts for the body of the rv will be tough to find because she is an older rv.? I'm worried about the frame.? We'll see.
It was definitely an accident though John.? Rush hour and the driver at fault was not paying attention.? The impact with the car in front of her threw her into our lane.? One thing about an rv is the "view" from the front window is unobstructed.? She just panicked and slammed on her brakes.?
And about "fools" on the road Jim, it is amazing to have to deal with drivers who are coming onto the freeway and their lack of regard for the large vehicle (us) in the lane they are 'merging" onto.? ?Merging........I use that term loosely!!? Half the time they don't even look to see if there is a vehicle in the lane until they are almost on us, and then they usually brake (which we have already done because we had no clue what they were going to do).?
I sound like such a whiner....sorry!!
We are lucky and we will "hang in there".?
We just love rving too much to let this "minor" inconvenience get in our way. (I'm normally my own best  "cheer leader", but as you can see :-\ I might need to work on it!!)
Will keep you posted.......

Svenska said:
And about "fools" on the road Jim, it is amazing to have to deal with drivers who are coming onto the freeway and their lack of regard for the large vehicle (us) in the lane they are 'merging" onto.  Merging........I use that term loosely!!  Half the time they don't even look to see if there is a vehicle in the lane until they are almost on us, and then they usually brake (which we have already done because we had no clue what they were going to do). 
I sound like such a whiner....sorry!!
We are lucky and we will "hang in there". 
We just love rving too much to let this "minor" inconvenience get in our way. (I'm normally my own best  "cheer leader", but as you can see :-\ I might need to work on it!!)
Will keep you posted.......

I agree with you on the term merging! Many people have no idea what that word means. :( They many times are engrossed in some activity other than driving. Now don't get me started on cell phones! :)

I don't think you sound like a whiner. We've all had these problems and have vented our frustrations in the same manner. Sometimes I fell sorry for my wife. ;D I'm glad to hear you are not discouraged by what has happened and will continue to enjoy this lifestyle. Stick around and we can help with the cheerleading! ;D ;D

:D ? Rah, rah ree...kick um in the knee......
? ? ? ? ?Rah, rah rass....kick um in the other knee !!!

? ? ? ? ?Thanks Jim

Jim

>> No problem. Sis, boom, bah!!! <<

How about Sis, boom, bawl.<G>

Terry
At Great North American Rally, Redmond, OR

Update to our rv repair....
We spoke to our contact at the service center in Gilroy yesterday.  The insurance appraiser went over all necessary repairs with them and also left the claim "open" in case of future undiagnosed, necessary repairs.  That sounds positive. :)
I need to see it all of this in writing so we will request copies of all the supporting paperwork.  I want to remain informed.  We will also make some unannounced visits for our peace of mind.
I will update all of you as we go through this process.

Sounds like the insurance co is taking a positive step.  Think you are smart planing on dropping in to check on things.
Thanks for the update.

I hope it's not the same dealer's repair shop in Gilroy that I used.

Tell me..... :-\  Alpine?
There was only one review on rvreviews.com but it was an "excellent".
Ugggg :-\

Phew........................ :p
Thanks Tom.? :D
I can make an educated guess at this point.?

You don't want to get me started on that one Ron  :(

Back
Top Bottom