Final Coat Protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronaldhino

I finally pick up my new trailer tomorrow and the dealer wants to sell me some Final Coat Polish for $400. They said if they put it on it would be $1100. They say it last for 5 years...

Can anyone help me and tell me if this is worth it or is there a better exterior protection on the market??

Thanks
Graham

Graham,

What exactly is this magic potion that will last 5 years? I can't imagine anything that would last that long on fiberglass, gel coat, or painted surfaces.

I don't believe we would take that offer. Guess we just don't believe salesman and dealers.  Sounds like a high profit item for the dealer.

It is an RV Sealant. You can see it on capfinalcoat.com

Looks good but not sure about the $400??

Thanks
Graham

Graham,

When I try to access that web site I get the following message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server  ???

Tom said:
Graham,

When I try to access that web site I get the following message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server  ???

Same here Tom.  I think the asking price is about $399 more than what I would give for it. ;D ;D

Graham,

I fixed  the link in your prior post.

According to that web site:

"Final Coat Sealant protects and enhances the clear coat layer of today's paint finishes."

So, do you have a clear coat paint finish?
[edit]Fixed typo.[/edit]

I brought a Jayco G2 Travel Trailer. I am not familiar with the type of exterior paint that is used?

Thanks
Graham

Sounds a lot like the teflon coating we put on our company airplanes after a new paint job. Worked as advertised and worth the cost.

Bruce,
If it is Teflon(r), I have serious doubts that an individual or even a dealer could apply it correctly, any more than you'd have a new Imron job done on a plane by your local auto paint shop. No amount of digging came up with any company name reference, product reference, MSDS. Maybe someone else has info?

Karl,

There was a company that specialized on the application. It was located in Tuscaloosa, AL. Brought the airplane in the afternoon and they did it overnight. Had a crew of anywhere from 5-10 guys. All I'm saying is that this may be the same stuff. Didn't take rocket scientists to do the application from my observation.

Bruce,
You hit on the key word there - "specialized". Regardless of the job -  be it painting a house; refinishing furniture; painting an airplane; or applying a protective coating on a MH, you wouldn't want some kid who washes cars for a living (and also applies protective coatings in his spare time) doing it to your expensive MH. If it were a factory option, that would be a different story, but I doubt that any dealer would have the equipment, personnel, or training to do a proper job, nor will they take the time and effort to do the necessary prep work which is probably 50% or more of the job. Back in Milwaukee years ago, we had a guy who started an auto paint business. His motto was "We (Earl Scheib) will paint any car for $29.95". And he did. And you got what you paid for. Sometimes even more... like over-sprayed chrome, window glass, headlights, tires and wheels... Guess they forgot to mention that masking cost extra :p 

Karl,
I use a marine polish that contains Teflon on my front cap. Got it at Walmart but it's also available at marine stores. Called Starbrite Premium. I put it on after I wax the cap. It doesn't last for 5 years but it does last a long time. The cap is slicker than greased owl poop after it goes on.

We used that on Ned's boat all the time, but it's not a permanent coating like I think he's talking about, and it sure doesn't cost $400 and another $1100 to apply. Heck, we used Interlux  or Graphkote (correct me if I'm wrong, Ned) on the keel and hull, and that is only about $65/quart.

Back
Top Bottom