security / safety questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericp

Greetings.

I'm looking for info regarding different types of locks to secure a hitch for an 8 foot popup.

When the weather warms up (i.e., starting this week), my popup is stored in my driveway.

First, regarding locks, I have 2 types and I"m trying to decide which to use this year (unfortunately they don't work together).

First, there's the MasterLock coupler lock. Second, there's a pin-type version similar (thinner but like those used on hitch receivers).

Any hard industry information on which is more secure, or even if there's a difference? Any police / sheriff / highway patrol users reviewing this board with any knowledge on locks being beaten?

In addition, my safety question. My neighborhood must have 30 popups in driveways, but I worry about kids goofing around who want to see what happens if they kick the wheel chocks away.

Is running a cable-type bicycle lock through a wheel and then a part of the frame sufficient to keep the wheel from rolling more than a few inches?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Locking the wheel in some way (A "BOOT" For example) might work, however if you have a PUP and I have an F-450 class pick up I can drag it booted or not, so .....

If your primary concern is kids, then get the proper "Convert-a-hith" ball (you need not get the pin,  Just the ball) and when you park slip the ball (hole up) into the hitch, lock the hitch on the ball.  I'd chock the wheels (You should have chocks anyway) one of the locking chocks that prevents movement in both forward and backward directions is best.  Those should be cable locked to the frame.

If you want to make your own chocks  Take a pair of 2x4's (or 2x-most anything) and a pair of long bolts with nuts and a pair of short cables (You will need bolts for these too

The 2x's go in front and in back of the tire, cable in back (trim to length so the 2x's are parallel  Bolt in front

The problem here though is without adjustment (A cable slack adjuster?) you can not adjust for different conditions.

I have a 'Kryptonite' (sp) chain with two loops that I have around the axle of my 4-wheeler (which has a better chance of rolling off than the camper).  And, while it would be disappointing for my camper to be stollen, it's insured.  I do take common sense measures (have a tongue chock), wheel chocks (front/rear of each tire), and a coupler lock (at present it's 'the ball').

Yup,those Kryptonite chains and cables sure LOOK strong... alas I'm told they are easy to overcome and i THINK I know how to doit, Emphasis on THINK

Motivation to test the theory is currently pushing hard on ZERO, and from below, however

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom