Adobe Acrobat REader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

I am confused about Adobe Acrobat.? There is a so called free version installed on my computer, though I notice there is a version sold in stores for nearly $300.? Some CD's containing User Manual contain version 4.xx, yet when my installed version refers to a version 6.xx? ? ?I recently read a nessage thread here referring to Ver 7.xx

Which version do I need and do I need the full version or abridged version.? Is there a way to load Adobe Acrobat faster, when a pdf file is accessed?

The Adobe reader is free.  The current version is 7.  What you see in the stores is the full Acrobat package which is used for creating content.  If you only want to read PDF files, then use the free reader.  Get version 7 as it loads much faster than version 6.

If you want to create Acrobat content, then you need the full Acrobat package.

Ron_Staff said:
Thanks for the info on Adobe version 7.? Guess I had better update.

Version 6 was notorious for being slow to open unless you used the arspeedup program to remove the extraneous plugins.  Since it's free, there's no reason not to run version 7 now.

Thank you for the clarification, Ned.  I had seen something about removing plug ins in order to speed up loading tim, but if Ver 7 loads faster "out of the box" then I'll dnload the installation file.

In the past, some update versions of Acrobat, required the previous version remain installed, for some sort of authntication, I suppose.  Can Ver 7 be installed on top of version 6 or does ver 6 remain installed or does it need to be uninstalled?

I usually use the update function from within the reader and let it handle it.  You could just uninstall the old version and then install the new one, but I don't think that's necessary.  I think it will update for you.  I don't think you can have more than one version of Reader on the computer.

The update function in the currently installed version 6.xx did not announce version 7 as being available.? I found ver 7 by searching the Adobe site.

Though not easy to locate the dnload site for Ver 7, as most links continue pointing to Ver 6,

Here is the Link to the Adobe Page for the Free Download? ?of

? ? ?ADOBE ACROBAT 7

Ned said:
......? You could just uninstall the old version and then install the new one, but I don't think that's necessary.? I think it will update for you.? I don't think you can have more than one version of Reader on the computer.

When I installed V7 I forgot where I had put V6. I installed V7 on drive D and I had V6 on drive C. Yes you can have two versions of Acrobat on the same computer. I just uninstalled V6 after I found my mistake. I'm not sure it would have installed both versions if I had tried to put them both on the same drive.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Ned said:
......? You could just uninstall the old version and then install the new one, but I don't think that's necessary.? I think it will update for you.? I don't think you can have more than one version of Reader on the computer.

When I installed V7 I forgot where I had put V6. I installed V7 on drive D and I had V6 on drive C. Yes you can have two versions of Acrobat on the same computer. I just uninstalled V6 after I found my mistake. I'm not sure it would have installed both versions if I had tried to put them both on the same drive.

If I remember correctly I installed ver 7 right over ver 6.  I think I did anyway cause 6 is gone. ;)

Ron,

I do not believe Acrobat installs itself over previous versions.  Check you Add/REmove rograms in Control Panel where you may well find the previous versions ready to uninstall and to save your disk space.

Ron,

I do not believe Acrobat installs itself over previous versions. ?Check you Add/REmove rograms in Control Panel where you may well find the previous versions ready to uninstall and to save your disk space.

Steve said:
Ron,

I do not believe Acrobat installs itself over previous versions. ?Check you Add/REmove rograms in Control Panel where you may well find the previous versions ready to uninstall and to save your disk space.

I did check and it was not there. 

Adobe Acrobat version 7 is not compatible with Windows 98 based on a rejection I received today while trying to install it on a 98 machine.? The installer recognizes the OS and does not proceed.  Must remain with version 6.x in Win 98

Steve said:
Adobe Acrobat version 7 is not compatible with Windows 98 based on a rejection I received today while trying to install it on a 98 machine.  The installer recognizes the OS and does not proceed. Must remain with version 6.x in Win 98

Or upgrade the OS to XP  ;D

Anyone running Adobe Reader ver. 6 should have the arspeedup program.  The load time of AR6 is way to long otherwise.

I believe you can speed up AR 7 the same way, by moving out uneeded plugins from the plug_ins directory.

Back
Top Bottom