Tow with kayaks on top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amigobob

Has anyone had any experience with putting kayaks on top of their tow and hitting the road?
Amigobob

Here's a photo of someone's kayak stored on top of their motohome.

Attachments

• kayak2.jpg
    kayak2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 48
I tow with two Kayaks on my Toad and have had no problem.  I do have to make sure that I load the back of the Tahoe before I put the Kayaks because they limit the travel of the rear hatch.  Also have two bike on the Toad trailer hitch.

I have a Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001 (the last year). It has a standard roof rack, but when I put two kayaks (single Loons) on the roof I bought a Thule roofrack because the standard rack was not built for the load (I really don't understand why, since my 1992 Jeep rack was good enough).
I used those cheap ratcheting tiedown straps that come in a pack of four, two per kayak.  I also used two rubber straps, not bungeecords, but the type that are black rubber and have a strong wire S-hook on each end, and these went round the front coamings of the kayaks to stop them surging forward on braking.
This system worked perfectly for several 3,200 mile trips from Canada down to Florida. Every time we stopped I checked the tautness of the tiedowns, and often put one more click on.
Apart from that I had no problems whatsoever, and the tiedowns and rubber straps lasted for 12,800 miles over 2 years without a failure.
I hope that helps.
Rankjo

I have carried one and two eighteen foot kayaks on top of my wagon all over the place.  I have just recently started towing a small TT and have taken the boats only once and had no issus.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom