1993 Coachmen catalina M-180, Whats your oppinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattshfd

I am looking to buy my first TT.  I have found a 1993 Coachman Catalina, I think its a M-180 as it is 18 FT.  I have not seen it yet but have talked to the owner.  He states all appliances are working and its a solid trailer with no leaks.  He told me they have owned it for a few years and did not use it last summer so they are selling.  He states that since there was no water in it last summer he did not winterize this year, as long as I hook up a hose and run water throughout I should be OK...right???  Anybody have any oppinions, dos, donts or look fors??????  Im up for any and all seggestions!  Also, Coachman is a well known quality camper isnt it??

Look at all the roof seams inside, as well as around windows etc.  Coachmen is an entry level coach, and somewhat prone to leaking.  I had a Coachmen truck camper, I had to deal with a number of leaks.  If it has f/g siding look for bulges.  Bulges would mean delamination.  If alum side, then look for bad dents or punctures. 

Tires should be checked for any dry rot or cracks in sidewalls.  Tread is almost immaterial, as the will rot before they will wear out for most users.

93 is same year mine was made, it had f/g sides.  The water heater, fridge and furnace should all be DSI.  This means no lighting of pilot lights. 

Good luck! 

Click on the library button (above) and you'll see a number of topics relating to purchases, especially the "Checklists". There are many items to check before you buy, and some may not apply to the one you're looking at. The basic "DO" is "Do check everything". That goes hand in hand with the basic "DON'T". Don't believe that everything is working just because the seller tells you it is. Test it for yourself. That includes all electrical, mechanical, and LP appliances, and air conditioner(s). If the owner tells you that the furnace, refrigerator or water heater can't be checked because there is no LP in the tank, have him put some in and tell him you'll reimburse him for it if you decide to buy. Same with water. Put some in, test the pump, faucets, toilet, etc. if equipped. If any of these things can't be done, make sure you get it written into the Bill of Sale that he will reimburse you the cost of repairs. A burned out lightbulb is trivial, but a non-functioning refrigerator can easily cost you $1000 or more. If he's reluctant to do these things for you, you should be even more reluctant to give him any money.
Good luck! :) 

Karl, I don't agree.  When you are buying from a private party there shoud be no warranty expected.  I would expect to check things out beforhand and address any issues with either walking away or compensating in the price.  Given how much time it takes for a fridge to get cold, I would ask the buyer to start it in the AM, then show up in the PM.  All the other items can be easily checked.  If propane is an issue, carry your BBQ tank with you to hook up.  Furnace ought to throw off heat, fridge should be cold by the afternoon, A/C can be checked, a water heater can be ignited and turned off without having to fill it.  That won't prove water tight, but evidence would be there for a leak. 

This is a 93 travel trailer he is looking at, the cost of a fridge would pretty much equal the cost of the trailer!  The seller would look at you like you were from MArs if you expected a warranty!

If the owner states that something does work then I see no problem with expecting the owner to back his claim that it works.

Neither do I, but check it out an buy or don't buy, but you take it home and it isn't working, doesn't mean it didn't work when owner made claim.  Everything works till it doesn't.  Sure would be coincidental, but it happens.

I would not buy unless I checked everything out.  After I did and it all worked, I would not expect the seller to be obligated for near future breakage.  How would he know that the new buyer didn't somehow breake it. 

Pays your money, takes your chances.

I agree with Bill. A private sale is nearly always "as is". If I were the seller, I would not accept any responsibility for anything that may have happened after the rig left my yard. The buyer should spend as much time as it takes to satisfy himself that my claims are true, but don't expect to come back later and say there is something wrong.

Ever heard of DTPA?  Thats the deceptive trade practices act designed to protect buyers from false claims.  If you have in writing that everything works, then you do have recourse to collect on anything that does nto work after the sale.

Don't believe that everything is working just because the seller tells you it is. Test it for yourself.
I don't see where we're in disagreement here, but if I see a refrigerator installed, I have every reason to expect that it is functional. Your idea about carrying a propane tank with you is not practical for any number of reasons; not the least of which is that the rig would need to have a 'stay-a-while' setup or something similar already installed. Bottom line is the buyer needs to prove to him/herself that everything is working as it should, or take those 'iffy' items into consideration when making an offer.

Back
Top Bottom