3month Backlog for Shipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian H

There seems to be a 3 month backlog on shipping RVs  and anything big than a car from the States to UK,
I know one chap has managed to get his on via a cancellation but not heard if Andy has managed to get his Gulfstream on board.

I am getting my Chopper motorcycle crated and flown home.
Collected from Clermont FL and flown to Plymouth Devon UK $2850 insured ,not bad as i have only got a 35mile trip to pick it up at home

That sure seems crazy Ian. How does the U.S. expect to address the trade imbalance if shippers can't get stuff out of the country  ??? I wonder if there's some restriction on shipping automotive products by sea. OTOH I see shiploads of Japanese cars coming into Benicia on the west coast.

Another thought about shipping MH's from here to there (Here being the USofA)

There is, IIRC a thread in this forums titled something like "Staying Legal At Home"

The story of a person who purchased a Motor Home that, I believe, would be legal here in the US.

But alas, is not so legal where he lives. (England IIRC)

For more on the issue, in fact for every thing I know about the issue,,, Read the thread

I understand the reason for the delays is military shipments to (maybe from) Iraq etc.

The US Government is able to take over any and all ships for equipment movement as and when required.

We had a couple of weeks delay last year - just meant we had to endure a couple of extra cruises round the Caribean.

Paul

John,

The 'Be legal at home' topic has to do with registration of a coach in the UK after it has arrived, but that wouldn't prevent shipping or arrival. In any event, Ian is shipping a trailer which will likely be narrower than a coach. Ian is also fully aware of the width issues in the UK.

Hi Paul. That makes sense for a few weeks, but 3 months seems an awful long time. There must be some other/additional reason for the delay.

Tom
im'e not shipping a trailer ,not this trip anyhow but i know a man who wanted to but couldn't wait 3 months,and that was a small trailer not the TT type
The Military excuse was given to the person concerned by the shipper ,so who knows what the reason is

Ian, yes I forgot that you're putting the trailer in storage.

Seems like your acquaintance was given a convenient excuse but, like you say, who know what the real reason is.

BTW I'm reminded of the QEII being requisitioned by HM government at the time of the Faulklands crisis while she was on a cruise. She was ordered home and retrofitted to be a troop and equipment carrier, then re-outfitted at the end of it.

I was informed yesterday by a Brit that is importing his RV to the UK that the shipper he is using has 50 RVs backed up for shipping

Tom said:
Ian, yes I forgot that you're putting the trailer in storage.

Seems like your acquaintance was given a convenient excuse but, like you say, who know what the real reason is.

BTW I'm reminded of the QEII being requisitioned by HM government at the time of the Faulklands crisis while she was on a cruise. She was ordered home and retrofitted to be a troop and equipment carrier, then re-outfitted at the end of it.

Tom:  I am in the business of buying things and then having them shipped to the US and then sometimes, taken the things I have purchased, used and then broken and sending them back to Europe for repair.........its not just the military that has things tied up, but everything we are exporting to China.  Our industrial factories (such as bearings) in the states.....are soooo busy building stuff for China, that on many of the bearings I purchase.....the lead times are now 18 months just to get a manufacturers run date.  Rubber goods or any other oil based product, not only is the price going through the roof, but your lead times on those items are now running 6 to 8 months. The industrial world has changed alot in the last couple of years.....instead of actually sitting around and purchasing items, I am spending a good deal of my day forcasting lead times and trying to hold cost to a reasonable increase so I can then budget future expenditures....a beer at the end of the day is just what the doctor calls for  ;D

Thanks Dave. I can understand protracted manufacturing lead times, but are you seeing shipments held up at the dock, unable to leave for 3 months?

I had some rubber bushings built in Germany, they were completed last December, which once took me a staight 4 weeks for a boat ride and customs, .....they are due to be delivered next week.....the ride time was the same but it took that long to get on a boat.  I havent shipped anything out by boat for sometime, but my exporter/importer has told me to expect long shipping dates

Ian H said:
There seems to be a 3 month backlog on shipping RVs  and anything big than a car from the States to UK,
I know one chap has managed to get his on via a cancellation but not heard if Andy has managed to get his Gulfstream on board.

I am getting my Chopper motorcycle crated and flown home.
Collected from Clermont FL and flown to Plymouth Devon UK $2850 insured ,not bad as i have only got a 35mile trip to pick it up at home

The lower dollar has expanded trade export so much that a major deficit exists in both containers and trailers. This is the flip of the past when it was nearly impossible to find things to fill containers to get them back to Europe and far East so they could get product here. This story was covered in detail in the WSJ just a day or two ago.

Thanks Dave and Leo. I've replayed the responses in my mind several times over the last day or so and just keep shaking my head. Increased net exports are obviously a good thing but, is it conceivable that we might be losing trade due to the long shipping delays?

Met two brits who have been touring USA for the last 18 months at a camp ground in Lake City last Friday 11th April who were on their way to Jacksonville
to ship their RV home they never said that there was a backlog, how ever i dont know how long ago they actually booked it.
I do know that they had over stayed their visa time by 12 months, and were held by customs & immigration for 4 hours, and had their visa canceled and told not to return, they had flights booked for the Wednesday.
They told me that they expected the RV to arrive in the UK towards the end of May.
Will update when and if i here  from them.
To change the subject, i was Freddie from Hythe in Kent, but as i am now touring in the USA.and bought a new laptop i could not remember my password.so re registered as FRED UK.
The DW and i are touring in a 2005 Tiffin Allegro for 12 months and are on our way to Alaska arriving around mid June and then into Canada .

I do know that they had over stayed their visa time by 12 months, and were held by customs & immigration for 4 hours, and had their visa canceled and told not to return,

I always warn folks not to overstay their visa for this very reason. Some folks seem to think that nobody will notice or, if they do, they'll overlook it. Border agents are armed, irrespective if they're in an airport, at a boat dock, or at the southern/northern borders. Do not mess with these people; They have a job to do, and that includes protecting our borders from illegal entry/exit, but it doesn't include allowing foreigners to flaunt the immigration laws of the USA.

Tom said:
Increased net exports are obviously a good thing but, is it conceivable that we might be losing trade due to the long shipping delays?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, in the WSJ article they sighted a simple example of Ahrens (the lawn mower people) who have to wait for notice from Europe when to ship their product based upon seasonal factors. This year they can't ship anything because the lack of trailer and containers means that when given ship signal they won't be able to ship promptly if at all  and will  thus lose the entire seasons business.

Fred
you say you are touring for 12 months ,so have you got something other than a H2 visa 6 months or how are you doing it.
We keep hearing stories of travelers doing the Carribean cruise,Mexican and Canada trick to get their visa's extended,and one was given 5 days to get out but i hear he is back in the states again touring.

Just interested because there is a few Brits doing this to stay here over their 6 month visa.

Talked to a Brit at Fort de Soto State Park that confirmed the backlog ,his shipper told him they could transfer his RV from Florida to Baltimore at a cost of $1500
and after a bit of discusion  the shipper got his booked on the ship in Florida,he actually booked his 2 months ago

Hi Ian
We just have the standard visa, we will go into Canada for 4/6 weeks after being in Alaska for 8/10 weeks.
hopefully they will then give us another 6 months.

Ian H said:

Sorry it's taken so long to feed back. ;D

The Gulfstream is due to leave on May 15th and should arrive in Southampton June 6th  ;)
So its about a 6 week wait  :(

Loads to do in the mean time. Studying for my heavy goods license (needed in the uk for vehicles over 7.5 tonnes) and boring everybody with the photo's I took before we left!  ::)

Just had our first BBQ of the year and the rain held off until we had finnished, which is highly unusal for a bank holiday ;) (May Bank Holiday in the UK today)

I let you know when she finnally does leave for Southampton.

Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom