Onan Generator will not stay running! Service code 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ride Everything

The generator starts, then immediately stops.  When I check the error code in my manual, which is code 14, the manual states: "OverFrequency fault. Engine governor unable to maintain rated frequency". Then says to see authorized dealer!

I just got the coach back after having my fuel station nozzle on the outside of the coach raised about two inches. The nozzle was too low from the factory and I couldn't get gas in the tank. I know for sure there's about six gallons in the tank, too.  Since getting the TT back after this repair, this was my first attempt at using the generator.  The gen works, because I used it prior to the nozzle fix.

Any ideas?  I'm sick and tired of bringing this trailer back to the dealer (which is over 8 times in the last 12 months).

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Gary

Gary,

My first thoughts about this is that it's only a coincidence that you're now having generator problems; not likely that it's related to your recent service. Onan generators (and other non-inverter generators) need to maintain a certain speed to output the correct frequency. There is a 'computer' circuit board in them that does this. If it malfunctions, the generator will tend to run too fast, and the computer will shut it down to prevent over-speed. Sorry, but you need to do as it suggests and see an authorized dealer - or a trained service technician. It's a relatively easy fix. 

Karl said:
Gary,

A question: Will it continue to run if you hold the 'start' switch activated? Don't let it run more than a second or two if it does, but that's another symptom of a malfunctioning computer control board.

Nope, even if I hold the start button, it still shuts down. The whole process from start-up to shut down takes about four seconds. 

Could the service techs have disconnected something when they fixed the nozzle and not hooked something back up? 

It sounds to me like a governor error,  There is a lever with a spring on it, IIRC this lever either has a serrated edge (The spring nestles in one of the serrations) or many holes (Spring hooks in a hole) and the spring may need to be moved to a different spot on the lever.  I'm not sure if it needs to be moved out or in.

you need a frequency meter, and alas, since it's never delivering power to the loads, that's hard to do

However if that's all it needs it's a very quick repair at a shop

On the other hand.. If it's something more serious you may well need professional help anyway.  So... Shop it is

Thanks for the link Karl.. I'm going to bookmark that

And to the OP  As I said,,,,, IF you don't have the proper tools, which I suspect you don't, it's cheaper to go to the shop. Quick job for the certified technician.

If it's something more serious, you need his help anyway

So My recommendation is to visit the shop and have them fix it.

Well, I'll take you advice and back to the shop it is.  Thanks all, I appreciate the time.  I'll post back when I hear what the resolution was.

Thanks again,
Gary

Hello all - well, just picked up the rig and all is fine now. Turns out I needed a new carb!  The service manager said I probably didn't run it frequently enough.  I realize the gen only has 40 hours in exactly one year of ownershipb, but to have to replace the carb all together??? Cleaning yes, replacement??  Hard to believe.  It was still under warranty so I wasn't going to argue, but with a $4,500 generator, I was very surprised at the result, to say the least.

Ride Everything said:
The generator starts, then immediately stops.  When I check the error code in my manual, which is code 14, the manual states: "OverFrequency fault. Engine governor unable to maintain rated frequency". Then says to see authorized dealer!

I just got the coach back

Did the service guys drain tank?, maybe the gas is not to the carb yet or  there is a fuel valve shut off or gas line not connected to generator / tank, maybe breaker tripped on generator for electric fuel pump!  Most engine computers ignore inputs for some period of time after start before shutting down,  this allows inputs  to stabilize, so may want to check the basics before the dealer changes the computer, air, gas, spark , one or more of these are missing!  Good luck

After investing over $4000 into a genset why not use it.  The most common cause of generator malfunction results from lack of use and carb replacement is usually the fix.  Run those Gensets.  We use ours to run the roof air when AC is needed mainly because it exercises the Genset.  One might refer to this as a USE IT or LOOSE IT thing.

In your Onan Owner's Manual it specifically states to run the genset for 1 hour on full load EVERY month!  It's becoming a real issue in the industry with the cheaper gas...cheaper meaning refined cheaper and it's not high quality stuff!  Your carb will varnish and if not using a heavy load, will carbon up and there is no cleaning...just replacing.  You should see the procedure for storing!!! Spraying Onanfoam, disconnect the gas line and running high octane gas...WOW! 

How much is considered "full load"?

I have a 5500 which I think is rated to handle 48 amps.  Do I need to approach that or will just an hour with both AC units be enough?

Thanks dsolberg & Karl.

I think this topic just saved me some money.  I've been running mine but only with a minimal load.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom