FAVORITE CAMPGROUNDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ALTACALL

::) ;D ??? Maru and I are looking for recomendation on campsites and clubs and organizations from all of you well seasoned travelers.who should we consider and who not to. Who are worth paying for, etc. Thanks for any help

I'm guessing that you're new at this Altacall.

The only thing you should consider imho until you get some experience is Passport America and Good Sam.

PA costs about $45/year now.  You save 50% when & if you camp at one of their campsites.  That won't happen every night because of your plans and the campsites restrictions - for us it's maybe one in five.  Typically you might save $15 or so so it takes 3 or 4 stays a year to break even.

I think Good Sam is $35 and you save 10% on participating campgrounds and there are a lot.  So 10 nights at $35 campgrounds is the break even point.  Of course there are other reasons to or not to join Good Sam.  Do a search.

A great resource for finding campgrounds is http://www.rvparkreviews.com/index.html.

Or ask specific questions here.

Joel

I know that you guys know a lot more about this than I do, but Passport America seems
very restricted (I guess that is way it is 1/2 off).  Most places state no PA rate on
weekends, based on availability, etc.

For my families usage, I love Coast-to-Coast.  Most places are now $10 per night ($8 last year) with
no restrictions.  At $138 per year, we paid for it with two weeks camping to Myrtle Beach
and Green Mountain in Western NC.  Most Myrtle Beach campgrounds are $35 - $50 a night.  Just my
2c worth.

If you are 62 or over you can get a golden age pass for the National Park System and the COE (Corp of Engineering) parks are wonderful and you get 50% off your site.  You can go on the internet and order the RVer's Guide to Corps of Engineers Campgrounds which is very helpful.  They are one of our favorites when they are convenient to our trip route. We use Passport America whenever we can, too.

NCRedneck said:
At $138 per year, we paid for it with two weeks camping to Myrtle Beach and Green Mountain in Western NC.  Most Myrtle Beach campgrounds
are $35 - $50 a night.  Just my 2c worth.

$138 per year, what did it cost you to join coast-to-coast? Is there a contract involved? Can you quite at anytime or do you have to sell your membership?

Some of these membership campgrounds require you to pay that $138 until you sell the membership. Even you dieing doesn't stop the payments. Your estate is responsible.

NCRedneck said:
I know that you guys know a lot more about this than I do, but Passport America seems very restricted (I guess that is way it is 1/2 off).  Most places state no PA rate on weekends, based on availability, etc.

It's a case by case basis, since PA allows each CG to set their own rules on when they must honor the discount.  And some states have WAY more PA-affiliated facilities than others.  The pickins are pretty slim around me in Illinois, although I just got a pretty long list of 2007 park additions and there are a couple near me. 

For that Myrtle Beach vacation example, a $138 membership would be beneficial... but it probably wouldn't do much for a weekend warrior like myself, unless my favorite "most visited" CG just happened to be on the list.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
$138 per year, what did it cost you to join coast-to-coast? Is there a contract involved? Can you quite at anytime or do you have to sell your membership?

Some of these membership campgrounds require you to pay that $138 until you sell the membership. Even you dieing doesn't stop the payments. Your estate is responsible.

I bought a lifetime membership to a Travel Resorts campground  The campground is approximately 1 1/2 hours from home and is a
convenient weekend getaway.  The coast-to-coast membership availability was an additional perk.  I did not sign any type of contract.
I can sell or transfer my membership to the Travel Resort campground but i have no ownership in coast-to-coast.  I only pay yearly dues to CTC
and can stop paying the dues at any time.

After looking and reading a ton, I have not noticed an easy search for RV parks and "kid friendly".  I would just hate to get somewhere and us having the only kids...

Aside from looking for a playground onsite, is there an easy way to find a kids welcome RV site?  So far I have only seen "Adult" and "Senior"...thanks all...still learning...

5ofus said:
..., is there an easy way to find a kids welcome RV site? 

Since we're retired we don't look for that, but we've noted that the Snow Bird roosts are mostly populated with Q tips (white hair, white tennis shoes).

Campgrounds near tourist attractions when school is out are populated with families.

I think that if you go camping when you can and where your kids want to go, you will find other kids.

Joel

A great source of information regarding campgrounds is the Trailer Life Campground Guide.  They have a print version that lists over 12,000 RV Parks and Campgrounds as well as services, local festivals, Samborees and Caravans.  Each campground has a rating system that rates facilities, cleanliness, and a whole host of other criteria.  They list areas were trailers are not permitted, LP Gas Prohibited, brake and safety requirements and internet accessibility. 

Each campground then has a review that lists directions, how many paved sites, number of pull thru sites and sizes, full hook up 30/50, WiFI, TV laundry, grocery, and even list rec activities pools and playgrounds and much more.  I have not seen it, but imagine that if kids were not allowed, it would list that as well! 

They also have a DVD version that will connect to the internet for up-to-date info and even road construction, trip routing, and average price of fuel!  It's a great book!

Yeah we are going to buy that book and check it out...my kids are good, but I am the type of parent who realizes kids will be kids (they love to play ball and run around) and I dont want to bother older campers looking to relax  :p

I guess the playground thing will be a tipoff and asking other parents at the campgrounds we visit where they go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom