trading down, looking for opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zimbrown

Hello all.  It's been a while since I was on the forum.  We used to have a 03 Georgie boy landau,, but lost it in a hail storm.  NOT a fun way to lose a motorhome!  I am just looking for some value opinions of an older coach I am looking at.

We only use a MH about 2 or 3 times a year, plus half a dozen weekend trips, so we decided to go a little older and save some money.

Anyone have a opinion of a 92 winnibago adventurer 34RQ? Specific issues to look for or be aware of?

pros: 47K Miles, Chevy 454, (anyone know what tranny?) new tires x6, new batteries x 3, very very clean inside, 90% outside.
cons: soft floor spots as noted in a post here on the forum, (but not fall thru soft) 2 spots on interior wall where wall has de-lammed slighty. (I think it is related to where the awning was attached) MINOR finish issues on front nose.

I can get this coach for 12K.  Now i know that book is only about 14 - 15K, but I have also seen the SAME coach at dealers on lines with ridiculas pricing listed at 29k and 35K!!!  TRULY  Is the book value really that out of wack, or are these inflated asking for trade prices.

bottom line, I think this is a good value, and would simply like some feedback.  sorry for the long-winded request!

Thanks in advance,

Don

PS have already updated my profie with a picture of the proposed coach

Those are inflated prices. You can buy a much newer coach for $30k.

The transmission on those older coaches was a weakness. They weren't really up to the task of moving that much weight on hot summer days and typically ran hot, which is death to an automatic tranny. Transmissions began to get more robust around 1995, so a rig a couple years newer would be better from that standpoint. The 454 Chevy was also known for warping or cracking the exhaust manifolds for the same reason. They ran hot to begin with and in a motorhome there is less air flow over the engine because it is buried under the doghouse, so things like manifolds got real hot.

But if you have looked it over and feel the problems are minor and consistent with its age, perhaps it is an OK deal. I would set aside a few thousand for repairs, though, and also do a full overhaul on filters, belts, hoses, fluids and such. That may cost you several hundred dollars but could prevent being stranded on the roadside.

I appreciate the response.  It makes sense, but it sounds like you think the older motorhome may be more repair risk than the savings may indicate.  Do you think 12K is still a bit much?  Any recommendations as to value for the dollar in that general price range?

I'm sure I'm spoiled with my great experience with the Georgie Boy, and while I would like to have a moderate invstment, I don't want to buy trouble either!

thanks again for your input.

Don

Back
Top Bottom