First year of fuel injection for chevy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Couzin Eddie

I was looking at craigslist at RV's and was 1989 the first year of fuel injection for the Class C's??  I have a 88 and it still has a carb. 

Not sure if that is good or bad. 

Was kinda nosing around the internets and it looks like the 350 on my year is right around 200hp and the 454 was 235... sound about right?

If it is injection, it will be throttle body rather than direct to the cylinder. That didn't come till much later. The date may differ for Ford vs Chevy, but I would say around 1995-1996 for direct injection.

My '95 GMC 1/2 T truck has the throttle body injection. The '96 models have the newer system which was good for about 1 MPG better. My present problems is with the antilock brakes. The '96 system is better.  I should have bought the '96 that was on the lot but I liked the red one better ;D. The MHs might be a year later.

Just wondering how the 1996 ABS systems are better than the pre-1996 units.

(I drive a 1992 Lumina and the only "problem" I have had with ABS ion over 200,000 miles is when the battery goes low the fault light comes on... This is, I might add, Normal operation for the ABS, abnormal for the alternator)

My daughter had a 1994 pontiac.  The only ABS problem we had with it was when one of the leads to one of the wheels snagged something and was tore off the sensor... Again it faulted (As well it should) there is a long story here but... this is not the thread for it as it has to do with getting it fixed rather than the problem.  Simple fix.

My brakes are very soft and unreliable. The pedal goes almost to the floor. Most of the time the brake fault light comes on. Sometimes the brakes chatter when slowing down. The problems seem to be different with different ambient temperatures. This has gotten bad over the last year. I have replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes several times. Nothing seems to help. I have tried to adjust the brakes by driving in reverse snd hitting the brakes. There are no rubber plugs on the rear wheels to get to the adjustments. I have been told to repair, the antilock unit has to be replaced with a new unit. I have had suggested prices from $1000 to $2000 for a new unit. The 1996 model can be replaced with a rebuilt unit available over the internet at well below $1000. I can picture what the price would be if I take it down to the friendly GMC/Chevy dealer and say fix it. I have less than 50,000 miles on the truck and it needs some work but otherwise is in good condition, so would like to keep it as long as I can drive and find my way home. We will be leaving the house near the end of May so I will work on it when we get back in November after the fall SE Rally.

In 1980 the Cadillac 425 was replaced with the L61, which was the same basic engine de-bored to 3.80 in (96.5 mm) for a total displacement of 368 in? (6.0 L). The reduction in displacement was largely an effort to meet CAFE requirements for fuel economy. Fuel injection (which would be known to GM as throttle-body injection after 1985) was now standard except for Fleetwood Limousines and Commercial Chassis.

Cadillac refers to the fuel injection system as digital fuel injection; this particular induction system was later adopted by other GM division except Oldsmobile V8s.

Early years of fuel injection had spotty performance.  The fuel injectors had quality issues as they were ramped up from low to high volume.  By the mid-80's they hit there stride and have been very good ever since.  Computer controlling engine fueling vie feed back systems can really maximize fuel economy.

Back
Top Bottom