A toothy dental story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

What's going on with dental repair fees?

My regular dentist recommended that I get a root canal on one my my teeth. Seems like regular dentists don't perform that procedure anymore.

So I went on a search for an Endotontist in the area. I found one about 60 miles away, one that would honor my insurance plan. He belongs to the plan, which simply means that I am authorized to get a 25% discount; the remainder is my expense.

I called to make an appointment, no problem; got a price quoted starting at $900 to $1300.
The lower fee covers simple procedures of a front tooth a with single root nerve. (Back molars are much harder to do as they are difficult to access and also have several nerves to be extracted.)

My tooth was right in front next to the bicuspid; great, small fee. But that's not what happened. Then he presented the fee: $1300 minus 25%.

I said whoa, how come and discussed my disappointment with that. He then said well why don't we split it between us, I'll charge $1100 less 25%. I hummed and hawed and basically had no choice but to shell over  $825.00. (I had expected to only pay $675.00)

The procedure was so minor, he actually only spent about 10 minutes on the actual tooth repair. The remaining time was prep and finish-up by an assistant.

Something smells unethical to me here. Am I wrong?

Live and learn,  carson FL

For some time now it's been cheaper to go to Mexico for major dental work.  The quality is just as good as in the states, at a small fraction of the cost.  The money saved in most cases will pay for the travel, lodging, and car rental (unless you take your RV) with cash left over.

Unfortunately, your not on welfare or SSI disability. Those people just show their Medicaid card, and "Zahtzee", no deductible!

Carson,

I had a root canal back in about 2002. Don't remember exactly which year. Any how the cost was $1350. It was a molar. Six years later that price doesn't sound that far off for here in the states. I'm in Arizona.

Hey Buckle someone told you wrong SSI Disability does not get medicaid.  They get Medicare which does not cover dental.  Wish it did. 

Buckle,

You got off easy.  Last fall I had a root canal that cost $1,485.  This also was a molar.

ArdraF

I had a dentist recommend a root canal one time.  I told him to feel free to do the root canal at his leisure after he pulled the tooth and I left.

I'm by those things like I am about jumping out of an airplane - no way.

Newt & Jan said:
I had a dentist recommend a root canal one time.  I told him to feel free to do the root canal at his leisure after he pulled the tooth and I left...

You could have done it yourself with a Dremmel tool under those circumstances...  ;)

In Canada, medical procedures are free but dentistry is not.
Thus I hate paying as much as anyone, but you have to remember that a large part of what you are paying for is overhead. The rent, the staff salaries, a hundred grand or so of equipment (could be much much more, I'm not sure). That poor old dentist (!) has to do a couple of thousand an hour or so (I don't really know that either) to make a decent living, and the poor sucker has to do that for thirty years. It's a tough job IMHO. He's really running a mini-hospital, so think of the big fees like that.
Rankjo

Liability insurance is probably a huge part of their operating costs.

Back
Top Bottom