Too funny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaskansnowbirds

Site Team
In the May issue of the Reader's Digest in the "Laugh! it's the best medicine" section, was the following. With all our dear friends here on the forum from the UK and one Welshman in particular, I had to post it.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Two American tourists are driving through Wales. They decide to stop for a bite to eat in the village of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Baffled by the name, one of them turns to a local and asks, "Would you please say where we are very slowly?"

The Welshman leans over and says, very slowly, "Burrr-gerrr Kinngg."

Submitted by Denise Stewart

Don, that should make a certain Welchman laugh!

ArdraF

At least the pronunciation was correct.  We had a 3 year old friend who insisted on calling it Booger King ... much to his mother's chagrin.  :D

Margi

Bet they have a weird, spitty way of saying "Burger King" in Wales.....maybe Tom can teach us in Moab :)

Bet they have a weird, spitty way of saying "Burger King" in Wales.....

There are no "spitty letters" in that Wendy  :D  OTOH there's also no 'K' in the Welsh alphabet. Before attempting to translate, I'd ask which of the two words is a noun and which is an adjective  ???

... that should make a certain Welchman laugh!

Ardra, not sure if that's a reference to me ???  I'm aware of only one situation where the word Welch is substituted for Welsh; See here.

Tom said:
There are no "spitty letters" in that Wendy  :D  OTOH there's also no 'K' in the Welsh alphabet. Before attempting to translate, I'd ask which of the two words is a noun and which is an adjective  ???

Oh, good, a grammar question. "king" would be the noun (it's the subject of the phrase), "burger" would be the adjective (it's the "kind" of "king"). Or you could argue that the entire thing (Burger King) is an adjectival phrase, describing the missing word "restaurant." Does gender matter in Welsh? If so, then you could argue that this is masculine (king) or neuter (the missing "restaurant").

BTW, if you google Welsh Burger King, you get tons of info about a Bald, Welsh-speaking Elvis.......shave your head, Tom, and you could have a new career !!!

Wendy

If it's capitalized, it's a proper name which would make the entire phrase (Burger King) a noun (if I remember my 50 year old grammar lessons) :)

Tom, I know.  Some "catches" are just too good to pass up, aren't they?

ArdraF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom