rv etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It just seems to me it ought to be common sense to stay out of another's campsite.  I'm sad to see it must not be.  I kinda like having my own personal space and don't want the whole neighborhood traipsing through it. 

Jeff, you're assuming that most people actually read the campground rules.  Not all campgrounds go over them at check in, although they should.

buckle823 said:
This should solve your problem:

http://www.crowdcontroldepot.com/index.php?cPath=50

Giggle.  That should keep BEARS out! 

;D

...the folks who while walking their dog will let it raise it leg on the wheels of the coach or car.

Or the folks I saw allowing their dog to do that at a campground fresh water spigot.

Carl L said:
I mean crime scene tape or pungee stakes is a bit over the top, as are chained up, ill-fed Rottweilers.

Crime scene tape is too easy to break and no need to be cruel to Rottys but what is wrong with some well placed pungee stakes as long as they aren't dipped in something that puts off an offensive odor to disturb the neighbors?  In a nice hole covered with a piece of outdoor carpet and it should reduce the pest count pretty quickly.

Maybe a warning sign or two if you want to.

Better add a multimillion dollar liability policy and a good law firm on retainer, Newt :)

Some of these same folks who have no "campground etiquette" stay at Wal*Mart and think nothing of putting out the slideouts, awnings. fake grass, chairs and BBQ.  Maybe they're also among the folks who think it's OK to open the dump valves in a WM parking lot.

Hope I say this right - and don't offend.  ;D

Actually, from my experience, I think there are very few of these scoflaws. Say, 5%. The problem is that 5% is enough that eventually, they get around to offending everyone!  :mad:  That's all it takes. We've all met them now and again. I could tell some stories, but then so could all of you.  ::)

Tom, we have threads dealing with both types that you mentioned. The guy who dumped in the WalMart parking lot was a trespasser, in addition to being a jerk. A cop had to shoot his dog!  :mad:  He was busted, a criminal. Those, we meet rarely. He was especially rotten. (Maybe you should have posted a link to that Heathen.)  :mad:

That said, we normally camp during the week and skip weekends as much as possible.

However, we have a couple of weekend experiences. In the first, at about noon, Saturday, Dani woke me up from a nap, complaining that children, a lot of them, were playing under our coach. -  - Sure.  ::)

Decided I had better check it out. Yep! There were kids down there, racing around on their hands and knees. There were dogs, too. Some kind of game of tag. Looked around. Other coaches, underneath, were infested with kids and dogs. All the dogs were trailing leashes. It was a circus!  :eek:

Well, a few older coach owners were losing, or on the verge of losing their cool. There were hundreds of kids and almost as many dogs. But, it simmered down after fifteen minutes or so. Half an hour later, it was going, again, and again we had dogs under our coach with kids chasing them.  :(

I decided that it was funny. Lost some sleep, (the rest of my nap), but laughed at the menagerie. Obvious parents of these raucaus kids were oblivious to the mayhem. Rude, but survivable. We wound up laughing.  :D

Second event, we woke up to Boy Scouts on a Camporee. There were a hundred or so - full campground. I went out to take a look. A Scoutmaster came over and asked me to please let them know, if the kids disturbed us. Said I would, but they were so orderly that I doubted that would be necessary.

Short story, kids and adults were constantly asking if they could help us, as we went about our chores. Seeing one really cramped site, next to us, I offered the rear end of our space to them, for pitching tents. They even wanted to feed us!  ;D

We were invited to speak, at their opening campfire. The leader had asked us if we were vets, and we affirmed that we were. (Decals on the toad.) We had several hours to think about an appropriate presentation. We were very well recieved, lot of applause for our presentation. Felt great!  ;D

When we went to pack up, hitch up, and leave, Sunday - we could do nothing for ourselves. We had a crew, a large crew, and only supervised. Didn't have to use our ramp to load our scootrs. Scoutmasters and Senior Scouts simply picked them up and stuffed them in the back of the toad. We even had Scouts doing traffic control as we pulled out of the site.  ::) ;D

We had a great time. Lot of interaction, all favorable. Memorable trip - very nice. Had other people in our space, most of the time.  ;D I'd do it again!  ;D

Ray D  ;D

Good story Ray.

BTW only a minute fraction of WM folks get prosecuted (I hadn't heard of any until reading your message). The rest just believe it's their (free for as long as they want) campground. Heck, they even have a club and the members sport large buttons.

Tom, only a small fraction of people get prosecuted - Walmart campers or otherwise. Most people find it possible to stay within a reasonable standard of conduct.  :-\

I wouldn't hesitate to stay in a WalMart parking lot. We just haven't done it yet, so I have no experience. Done some WalMart shopping, but haven't seen rude campers - haven't seen many campers, at all, so far. Maybe Boise WalMarts are just not well known enough to draw a crowd, so far.

Now, having a WalMart club and wearing buttons is a bit over the top, for me. Don't think I'll be doing that anytime, soon!  ::) :(

We need more experience!  ::) Plan on correcting that problem soon!  ;D

Ray D  ;D

You've lived a sheltered (RV) life 

Yeah, I think you're right!  ;D

When you said,
Maybe they're also among the folks who think it's OK to open the dump valves in a WM parking lot.
I thought you were talking about the thread in the link, below - - - . Check it out. I had a heck of a time finding it! Do you have any idea how many "WalMart" references there are, on this board?  :eek: :eek:  You ought to get paid!!!  ;D

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=9834.0

Ray D  ;D

Ray,

There have been other reports minus the pit bull.

Do you have any idea how many "WalMart" references there are, on this board?

Yes  ;D

You ought to get paid!!!

I agree, but I've never made, or attempted to make, any money from forums in the 20 or so years I've been doing this. As I told another forum member recently, it's a labor of love, as it is for all our volunteer staff.

Some of these same folks who have no "campground etiquette" stay at Wal*Mart and think nothing of putting out the slideouts, awnings. fake grass, chairs and BBQ.  Maybe they're also among the folks who think it's OK to open the dump valves in a WM parking lot.

Tom, I think these people are very few. We stayed at a LOT of WMs and never found any problems with others. BTW we always put our slides out as my feet would stick out the opposite window if we didn't  ;D

It could be said that some owners of $2m RVs have a poor attitude and think they own the CG as they've got the more expensive rig.

Sadly, there are those from all walks of life who will abuse the system - thankfully, the vast majority are great.

Paul

.... I think these people are very few.

Paul, I guess we've just visited different Wal*Marts. We don't stay at WMs, but shop there often, and I do see a lot of folks treating it like a campground.

It could be said that some owners of $2m RVs have a poor attitude and think they own the CG as they've got the more expensive rig.

I wouldn't know. Since I emailed you the sticker for our coach when you first joined the forum, you know ours didn't cost $2M  ;D OTOH since we've never met, maybe I'm one of those with a poor attitude  :(

... thankfully, the vast majority are great.

That's for sure.

Ignorant, inconsiderate, rude, unsupervised, & unethical people/kids/dogs need a lesson in manners.  My father taught me about 50 years ago that "Pain is the BEST teacher",
be it physical pain or mental pain.......I ALWAYS believe what Dad said......Therefore, being a Viet Vet, I suppose Claymore Mines are not "politically correct, BUT highly effective
I might add. I enjoy cordite/napalm aroma with my morning coffee!!!!!

We usually go to local COE campgrounds and I have honestly never had anyone walk through my site in those campgrounds.  I think I would be extremely upset if that did happen though. I don't understand the mentality of someone who would do this. We live on a farm and I would equate walking through someone else's site like I would walking across a stranger's front porch. It would be rude and invasive. When we were growing up my Dad always taught us to ask permission before setting foot on someone else's property. Since a person "rents" a site for a set amount of time I consider that "their property" not public domain and my children have been taught the same.
We stay at the fairgrounds in Perry, GA 3 times per year and have done this 8 times in the past 3 years. In all those times I have had only one person walk between my TT and the one facing it and he wasn't wasting any time.

Back
Top Bottom