Dirty Gas or Clogged Fuel Filters or Both on my 85' Chevy Honey 454 7.4L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigBooka

Hey Guy's

I purchased an A Class 1985 Chevy Honey (P30) with a 454 7.4L engine (gas) two years ago in Michigan. I drove it back home 300+ miles back to Cincinnati, Ohio. At first (100+ miles) it ran well and on the way had problems with the RV stuggling to get fuel. It had sat at least 1 year, and so I changed the fuel filters. I topped off the tank and it ran fine again. But now it won't start. I replaced both fuel filters (under body & carb) with AutoZone filters, disconnected to hose leading to the carb and tried to start it... no gas is getting threw the line. I went under the RV and disconnected the hose at the 2nd filter... no gas leaked out. Is the line clogged from the tank or what? Is there a pump in the tank? Please help. What can I do to repair?

Thanks
BigBooka

With that age of MH I would check any rubber in the fuel line between the tank and the carb. I had an 86 Pace that I couldn't get to run. Found that the rubber sections in the fuel line had rotted and I was sucking air with the fuel pump. Replaced all the rubber hose I could find between the tank and carb and it ran fine.

It will have a filter in the tank that will varnish up after awhile. I remember the older mechanics used to take the gas cap off & remove the fuel line coming from the tank & use an air nozzle to blow the filter off. If you do that make sure you do have a fuel filter between yhe tank & the fuel pump. I was told that some builders actually did have electric fuel pumps in the tank or inline on some models as far back as 1976. I know for a fact that GM used intank electric fuel pumps on their C60 chassis cab trucks with the 427 engine, I just changed one out on a 1977 farm truck.

I was told that some builders actually did have electric fuel pumps in the tank or inline on some models as far back as 1976.
I suppose it's possible, but Rock Auto lists only mechanical fuel pumps for that year/model. A quick look at the engine will answer the question. It would be more likely if he had fuel injection, but he said it was carburated.

Do you think it has a fuel pump in the tank? Or should I just replace the lines? How do you get dirt/ gunk out of the tank? Do I drop it or fill it up and blow it out (Drive it)?

Follow the fuel line from the carburator. If it leads to a circular shaped device on the engine, that's your fuel pump and there won't, in all probability, be one in the tank too. Engines with mechanical fuel pumps will usually have just a short length of rubber tubing that connects it to the steel fuel line running back into the tank, and finding a replacement might be very difficult. Before worrying about the tank and fuel lines, replace the fuel filter and make sure the pump is operating properly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom