older coach with banks and gearvendors, help or hurt reliability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adventure95004

ok here i go, 1st coach and i am still learning the ropes and i am counting on everybody here to keep me out of trouble  ::)
Will be doing a final inspection and handing over my piggybank $12000 Monday, and starting on a new adventure.
I am going to be a full timer using the coach more as a base, probably 50 to 100 miles a week. I will be towing a 2000lb single axle trailer.
The beastie in question will be a 92 40ft bounder,92k miles,,oshkosh chassis,460 with full banks kit,gearvendors. Gen set has been replaced with a 6.5.
The coach was owned by a film co that used it as a mobile dressing room and it has been well maintained, lots of service receipts, very clean and tidy but a little plain.
Does the banks kit affect long term reliability? The engine uses about 1qt oil between changes.
One of the headers has just been replaced because of a crack the other has 20k miles on it, about how long should they last.
The trans fluid has been changed regularly but i am not to sure about the GV transmission. Does the GV help the ford tranny live longer.
The original gen set a 7kw marquis was replaced with a 6.5. I have the choice to keep the 6.5 500hrs or the 7kw which runs great but makes no electricity. i have noticed this on a few older coaches i looked at. Is the 6.5 more reliable, simpler to maintain myself or should i look at taking the 7kw and getting it fixed.
There is a very slight drift to the right and the tires have good tread but you can see slightly more wear on one side. It is equipped with a steering damper. i am planning on an alignment but is there anything else it could be. 
I understand Bounder was at the lower end of the fleetwood line, does this mostly mean trim and fittings or was the body built cheaper. This one seems pretty tight without to many rattles.
I have to thank everybody that contributes here, I have learned a lot in the last few weeks that i have been visiting.
thanks andy

Andy:

I am not addressing the rest of the coach but the Gearvendors and Banks are big pluses in my book. I had a full Banks kit on a 460 and it made a marked improvement, all I needed was the Gearvendors to avoid 3100+  RPMs up the hills.

Well, let's break down the items here

There is a lot of controversy about performance enhancement packages. No engine maker endorses modifications to their engine ALL claim that modifications MAY cause problems and warn that if the mod does it will void the warranty.

That said the BANKS power package has a proven track record of NOT causing problems, And some engine makers are using a "Knock off" of the Banks package as a factory option.  (In which case it is covered by warranty)  Based on my understanding of engines.  I would say the banks system is, at worst, neutral as to reliability..  In fact it might actually make a slight improvement in SOME cases.  I'm fairly sure it does no harm.. Same for the Ultra Power package

Some of the other engine modifications though............ 

GearVendors gear splitters:    Very little controversy here  The two issues are as follows;

1: It is one more sub system which can fail (however without asking them I suspect the Mean Time Between Failure is ...Well... a long,long time)

2: Over all the GearVendors products will reduce stress on the engine and transmission, this can only improve reliability.
So I'd rate it a plus

Generator options... six of one,  half a dozen of the other...  In this case it depends more on other things... Now.. I have a 5500 watt generator on my coach, powers everything and a little more.  I like a generator with a bit of "overhead" not too much, but a bit.  If you are going to be routinely pulling 6,000 watts or more then the 7.0 is indicated  If you are only going to cross 6,000 watts or rather volt-amps (not exactly the same thing) on occasion, then the 6.5 should do the job

however I gather you have a 7.0 on the rig now and the decision is "Fix the 7.0 or install a new 6.5"  If that is the case, Talk to the service people... A properly rebuilt generator should be right about as good as a new-in-the-box,  And it may be less expensive to re-build.  If so I'd go that way.

I think a 460 with Banks and GV is a wonderful combination. If well maintained they should be no trouble at all.

Take the generator that runs & makes electricity. The other kind is very expensive to repair.

Check the tire date codes and plan on replacing any approaching 7 years of age immediately, regardless of tread wear.

Yes, the Bounder is low end but it was always a solidly built rig. I suspect that upholstery and flooring have already been replaced at least once, but you may want to do it again just to update the look.

Thanks for the input. Getting advice from people that have been there and done it really helps my nerves  :D . Will be closing the deal on tuesday as long as nothing odd shows up.
  Thanks andy

Back
Top Bottom