Towing Capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carney3

I have been looking for the towing capacity for a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition 2WD w/5.7L Hemi MDS 3.92:1 Gear Ratio, 20" 4 ply Goodyear tires, w/towing package to include trans cooling and oil cooling systems and class IV receiver. Can anyone be of help? Dodge website states 8600lbs, but I can not find my exact truck on there anywhere, edmunds claims 9100lbs, the dealership where puchased claims it is set up for up to 10800 (I think that would be closer to the GCVWR) but they couldn't show me that in writing.  Can anyone help?

I believe Trailer Life shows 8550 for your truck but it's a bit confusing.  I'm pretty sure it is in the range of 8600 lbs.  I have a 2005 Dodge with the same set-up as yours except it is 4-wheel drive.  I tow a 6200 lb TT and it does a fine jobs with that.  Leave yourself some margin and you will be happier with the performance.

Thanks for that info.  I noticed you stated in some other feedbacks that you had towed through the Rockies, did you encounter any problems with those grades?  I am considering going with a F250 diesel, not big on Ford, only for the towing capacity.  I like my Dodge. I have a Jayco Eagle 314 know problem towing it so far using weight distribution and sway bar ,of course.  I had it weighed with what I take camping and I always pull with empty tanks, including water heater which allows about a 10% safety margin of 8600lbs for the the trucks sake. The trailer has a max weight of 9500lbs and knew that I really needed to keep a close eye on keeping the weight way down from that for this truck without knowing the exact capacity. I didn't take the salesman word on towing capacity on his little chart when I bought the camper.  They tend to beef up the towing capacity on those I believe, don't mess up a sell because of towing capacity. HA.

According to the current Dodge website Tow capacity calculator, a 2008 1500 Quad cab,2WD automatic (5 speed) with the 5.7L Multi-Displacement engine & 3.92 gears is rated to tow 5,500 lbs.  I could not find any MDS engines rated anywhere near what you stated for your 06, but the standard (non MDS) 5.7L can get up to 8900 with the 4.10 axle.  TL does indeed show up to 9100 lbs for a 2006 5.7L, but it make no mention of MDS vs non-MDS engines. The Dodge site implies the MDS engines result in greatly reduced tow capacity.

So, what cab style (regular, Quad, Mega) and trim (ST/SLT/Laramie) and transmission 4 sp auto/5 sp auto/6 sp manual) do you have?

And none of this says anything about tongue weight - your trailer could easily overlood the 1500's payload or rear axle GAWR, so hitch it up and weigh it before going anywhere.

Dodge ought to be able to give you the GVWR, GAWR and front/rear GAWRs for your vehicle by looking up your VIN. Ask a Dodge deaelr to help you.  That will give you a pretty fair spec on it, though travel trailer towing capacity is sometimes less than GCWR-GVWR. Basically, though, if you are more than a tad under the GCWR you should be OK.

Carney3 said:
Thanks for that info.  I noticed you stated in some other feedbacks that you had towed through the Rockies, did you encounter any problems with those grades?  HA.

The highest we have towed is a bit over 11,000 feet between Durango, CO and Silverton, CO. We had no trouble maintaining a nice steady speed climbing the grades or controling the descent with engine braking.  IIRC, the steepest grade was around 7-8%. The transmission was in the tow/haul mode of course.  I believe my truck is rated to pull 8600 lbs so at a trailer weight of 6200 lbs, I have a comfortable margin.

I have a quad cab, SLT, w/ 5 spd auto.  I have towed the trailer about 5 times as of last night and I barely know its back there, but that has nothing to do with MAWR I know .  I just want to know and try to be on the safe side for everyone.  Thanks! 

If you run your model through the Dodge Towing Capacity web page (2008 data) and play with the MDS engine vs the "old" 5.7L Hemi, you will observe that as soon as you select the MDS engine the tow ratings seem to drop about 3000 lbs. I was not aware of this and cannot say if it is true across the board. It's just an observation that makes me suspicious.  I'd suggest getting clarification direct from Dodge on this engine and effect on tow capacity.

I suspect they are worried about what might happen if the engine switched into 4 cylinder mode while towing a heavy load - could put some unusual strains on the crankshaft and driveline.

Thanks for the information.  I checked with mechanic at the Dodge (dealership) and he said that the MDS would only change to 4 cylinders if the speed was a steady speed and the computer didn't sense extra need for power.  I've sent for information from Dodge so maybe they will help out.  I will be sure to post the info so maybe it will be helpful to someone else in the future.  I did meet someone at the campground last night towing a camper about the same size of mine, towing with the same type truck and he said in the tow/haul mode he's had no problems.  I will see what Dodge has to say I guess.     

I have an '07 Ram 1500. It has the 5.7 Hemi with MDS. Enabling the tow/haul setting disables the MDS, it will not kick down to 4 cylinders while enabled. I recently bought a 28' Forest River Cherokee. Trailer weight is 6880. No problems to report. However, I am a full-timer as I travel everywhere for work. (We travel the country building Lowes hardware stores) With my tools and personal effects, I'm @ 7500 lbs. I'm at the top end of the trucks capacity but never exceed 65mph as I feel comfortable in this range, and the Hemi with 3:92's just purrs along.
Be safe out there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom