Learning to drive that monster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura D

Ok, we've had our mororhome (34 ft Fleetwood) almost 3 months now and I FINALLY got the nerve up to drive it myself on our last trip.? I ended up driving almost 150 miles! ( ;)pat on back...I was quite scared of getting behind the wheel with my family in the motorhome with me!)? It was not as tough as I thought it was going to be.? Of course, it was straight interstate driving, but nonetheless, it was a start.? I feel that it's very important for me to learn all aspects of operating our motorhome...just in case!? (other than the black tank opertion...just don't think that one is sinking in....better let my husband continue to take care of that until I get a better grip on it ;D.)? ?God forbid anything should happen to any one of? us while we're thousands of miles from home, but if it does I'd like to think that I'm prepared.

Although my husband is a great instructor....he is new to this also.? Just wondering if any of you experienced drivers could pass along any tips?? We've got a 4,000 mile trip coming up soon and I'd like to learn as much as I can on that trip (if not before!)? I'm planning on doing a good bit of the driving on this one.

Thanks for any advice you might want to offer :D? (However, you can spare me the "women driver" jokes...think I've just about heard them all! ;D)

Laura

ETA:  I DID print off and read the RV Driving tips that I found here....just wanted to know if there was anything else someone might find useful to pass along.

Laura

My wife also has selective retention when it comes to emptying the black tank, although she drives the coach 90-95% of the time. But I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest it has anything to do with gender  ;D

Laura D said:
God forbid anything should happen to any one of? us while we're thousands of miles from home, but if it does I'd like to think that I'm prepared.

Laura

If you haven't, let me recommend that you join Family Motor Coach Assn. (FMCA). It's a great organization and the benefits are worth far more than the yearly dues. One of the biggest benefits is the medical evacuation. If you or a loved one becomes ill or injured and they can't travel FMCA's insurance will pay to get you home.

Hi Laura,

Good for you!!!! It is important for both individuals to know how to operate the motorhome. Especially important if one of you is sick. Also allows the "main" driver to rest if you are on a long trip. My wife will drive the Interstates but she doesn't like cities. :)

I think as time goes on you will become very comfortable driving the rig. You'll also find you will be able to drive a 40' with no difficulty. I think one trick is to know where the rear wheels are. With that you will know how far to pull into an intersection before making a turn. The only difference between 34' and 40' is the axle location from the driver's seat.  I won't propose to instruct you as I don't think I'm qualified though I have been driving one since 1996. :) Be sure you learn how to approach a toll booth and how to back up. You may not need it on the highways but it's good to know and be comfortable with doing it. Someday it may come in handy. ;D

Jim

Your message reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I'll do so in another topic.

Hi Laura,

Good on ya as the Aussies would say.  I think you will find driving the coach will become more and more enjoyable.  We have over 90K miles on our Eagle and I have driven maybe 2500 of that.  Sam has become very protective of the drivers seat.  She has taken to heart Betty Brewers division of blue jobs and pink jobs.  She has pointed out the pink jobs are inside and most of the blue jobs are on the outside.  Sam notes the waste tank valves are outside so they ar blue jobs.  She has also noted the drivers seat is inside so she considers driving a pink job. ;D  However Sam does know how to do everything including hooking/unhooking the car, dumping the waste tanks, and what ever needs to be done to park or get ready to travel.  This was very comforting to both of us when we had to go to a town over 100 miles away for me to have surgery.  Sam was very comfortable with everything to do with the Eagle.

There are several of the ladies in the framily that do most of the driving.  If you do get a opportunity to take a driving course take it.  Lazy Days in Florida provides driving lessons free.  We have a professional driving instructor right here in the framily.

Congratulations on your taking the wheel and learning.  Remember regardless of Gender we all had to start sometime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom