110 to 12 volt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomkelley80926

i just bought an older truckcamper,its a riveria and what im having trouble with is when i got it the 110 didnt work right ,my son and i got that fixed and now we arent sure why the 12 volt doent work.i  dont have the tail or stop lights hooked up and the wires for that hook into the same place all the other wires do.we can take wires and hook them into the battery and get all the 12 v working.does anyone have a clus about this.
                        thanks

The best way is to wire a 6 way or 7 way trailer connector to your camper along with the appropriate socket in an accessable place on your truck.

Although a 5 pin connector will suffice for the lights, you also need a 12 volt hot line from the truck's battery for the 12 volt stuff you want to run, and this is included in the larger plugs.  You obviously don't need the trailer brake line, so just leave that pin empty.

You could also put a 12 volt battery in the camper itself.  That way you can run the 12 volt stuff without drawing down the truck starting battery.  In this case, just run the 12 volt battery wire from the plug to the camper battery, then connect the camper's electrical stuff there.  As you drive down the road your truck will charge the camper battery, then when you set up camp just pull the plug to isolate the camper from the truck's starting battery.

If you need more 12 volt power than this, you'll also have to install a converter or battery charger in the camper.

Sounds like no converter, like mentioned, a battery will give you the juice to run, a converter charger would run the lights and charge the battery, but it would cost around 100.  Did I understand there are no tailights?  You must fit into the bed and be able to close tailgate? 

How about clearance lights?  Any on the top leading and trailing edges?  Might not have required these in 69. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom