XP Service Pack 3 is available for downoad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
If you prefer to download the service pack and install it at your leisure and not on Microsoft's schedule, it's available from this URL.  Be advised it's a 316MB file so plan ahead, especially the satellite internet users.

Thanks Ned. That didn't long on my 16Mb/s cable connection, although the download speed was restricted by MS.

Tom said:
Thanks Ned. That didn't long on my 16Mb/s cable connection, although the download speed was restricted by MS.

Tom:

It will be a couple of nights' worth for me on Motosat. ;D

Thanks, NED..
My download took about 8 minutes, but I havent installed it yet.  I will do a network install on my four pcs and burn a cd to install on the other systems that I maintain for family and friends. 
lou

I would get the service pack but wait a few days to see what others say about the installation.  I only know of one problem that was reported with a specific application (that no one here will have) but there may be more as it gets in the wild.  I'm not installing it this week :)  If you just can't wait, have a current image backup available if it goes bad.

Jeff, schedule it for the FAP free hours and it should easily download in that that time.  I often get 700MB files in less than the 3 hours.

I'll wait until I get out form under Russ's roof tomorrow. My download speeds are pretty low here.

It is for my 7 year old Dell that is working fine so I am in no hurry. ;D

I'm holding off on the install. Just wanted to get the download before we hit the road.

Ned,
The dlink takes me to a download window with an exe file. Is there a separate file for the different versions of XP (Pro, Home, Media Center)? If so, can you post a link to the selection page?

Thanks

One size fits all, in this case.  That .exe will update all versions of XP.  You can always wait for it to show up in Windows Update which may download a version specific release, but I prefer to have the complete SP so I can update my computers in my own time.

I just read where MS is delaying the release of SP3 for XP due to a newly found glitch regarding compatibility.  I will wait before installing to see what else Billy screwed up.

I mentioned that above.  It's an MS application that no one here will be using.  Here's a story on it.  The problem also affects Vista SP1.  Although it appears not to affect most people, I still recommend waiting until MS releases it again to Windows Update before installing.  Or, as I said, have a current image backup available in case of problems.  OTOH, I haven't heard of any problems from any other reporters that have installed it as released.

For those that want to original story with updates, it's available here.

This is a quote from that article:

XP SP3 is now available for download from the Microsoft website. Note that this is a direct link to the executable file and contains no information about the download. If you are uncomfortable with such things, don?t download this update and wait for the update to be officially released.

I started downloading it, saving it under a simple name rather than the 71 or so mostly random characters that was going to be its name.  Now I'm having second thoughts.  Does the file have to have that original name to self-authenticate?

No, you can rename the file to anything you like.  You do need a MD5 summer program to verify the checksum.

That was a wasted download, given that MS is recommending folks don't download and install it.

Not really, it's unlikely to change in any way that affects us and you won't have to deal with the overloaded servers when they put it on Windows Update.

Ned, went to the URL you posted and it immediately started downloading, thought I would get a chance to read about it. 

It downloaded and instlled with no errors.  Upon Restart it would not go to the Desktop and finally ended up on the Blue Screen.  Ended up coming up in Safe Mode and doing a System Restore.  All works well again.

I do not know enough to identify the problem.  Realize the info is nebulous but do you have any advice.

The link was directly to the SP executable, MS hasn't published the page with the release notes, or they pulled it subsequent to my original posting.  Earlier adopters do so at their own risk, and most people would be better off waiting for the final release through Windows Update.  The advantage of downloading the full executable early is to avoid the server loads later and to have the executable available for installation on multiple computers and not have to download it multiple times through Windows Update.

You need to do the checksum verify of the download.  If the checksum doesn't match, it's probably corrupted.  The checksum is in the article I linked to in a message above.  I have to redownload myself as the checksum failed on my copy.  I have often encountered Windows updates that wouldn't finish a logon after the first reboot.  A second reboot would then proceed normally.  I suspect it's a timing problem in the delayed file replacement method.

This is just another typical MS cockup.

Installed SP3 at Monday and had no problems since then.
The first WIN-start with SP3 takes a little bit longer but the next starts were as short as in SP2-times.
During the installation a point is created so you can return to the status of the system before you installed SP3. Don't know how you call it in your language. Windows Life Translator calls it "point of re-establishment"...

Back
Top Bottom