XP Service Pack 3 is available for downoad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mike, that's a restore point, I believe.  Supposedly, SP3 can also be uninstalled from the Add/Remove Programs applet but I haven't verified that.  The restore point is a better choice if you have to roll back.

After my unsuccessful attempt to install SP-3 I did a system Restore and everything appeared to be working well.

I then removed SP-3 in Add/Remove and many strange things happened:

1. After Restart the Desktop had very large Icons, similiar to starting up in Safe Mode.

2. The mouse had no light and the system started adding every piece of hardware on the system and finally loaded the Mouse.

3. Help and support went back to the 2004 XP media presentation (it was XP Professional)

4. While I can do most things I get strange Application Exceptions, feels like removing SP-3 took me way back level. I have done a System Update and I am up-to-date and I feel that is because the patches are still listed on my Add/Remove screen.

Am in the process of sending my personal files to my Laptop and am going to do a System Recovery.  I will try SP-3 again when I have loaded and updated but before I insall my Applications.  Will let you know how it goes.

Once you did the system restore you should not have done the removal from Add/Remove Programs.  You should do one or the other, not both.  You can use the system restore to put the system back to the pre-SP3 condition, reversing the effects of the A/R programs.  System restore works both forward and backward as long as there are restore points to choose from.  Should be no need to do a system recovery.

weewun said:
and finally ended up on the Blue Screen.  ..... I do not know enough to identify the problem.

The series of numbers, words, and pseudo words in the top section of the blue screen are often enough to let someone identify the error you get.  Always worth writing them down in case you want to try.

I suspect Ned could translate them as could I.  A specialized Microsoft tech can do more but those folks are rare & elusive and NOT the ones you get when you contact support.

Probably about 25-30% of the time, that information is enough to diagnose the problem and get it fixed.

Ned, to late it is recovering even as I type.

What did you think of my idea to update XP and then retry SP-3???

Well, since you've already started the recovery, there isn't any choice.  You should be able to apply SP3 to the fresh XP install, as long as it included SP2.

As Newt says, the error message on the blue screen is of value.  Without it, there is nothing anyone can do to diagnose the problem.  Sometimes the error is written to the System event log, but not always, so it's a good idea to write down the pertinent information if you want to know what caused it.

The past week, I suffered a series of BSODs, not all alike, and after researching some of them, they all pointed to a memory problem.  Turns out, I have one bad stick of memory.  Without that research, I would have been looking at drivers, etc. and not finding the real problem, which was hardware.

Ned, following the System Recovery I updated XP to the latest level before reinstalling any applications including Anti-Virus.  It downloaded great, installed fine but upon Restart it did exactly the same thing.

After Restart it would never go to the Desktop.  It would flash a Blue Screen and go to the Screen that allows you to come up in Safe Mode.  I did come up in Safe mode with Networking and it came up alright.  I could connect to the internet.  The installation of SP-3 did alter some of the Desktop Applications most notably the Help/Support.  It took it from the XP Professional to the XP Media.

I did another Recovery while cutting the yard this morning and everthing is back to normal, where I am going to stay.

Without the contents of the BSOD, I can't give you any hints as to what the problem is.  My guess is driver that is incompatible, or is being replaced by SP3, that's at the root of the problem.  For now, stick with SP2 and all current updates (you did run Windows Update after restoring, right? ) and wait on SP3.  If I see any reports of similar problems, I'll report back.

My XP Pro went into auto mode yesterday afternoon and downloaded SP3 on it's own. No problems, installed without a hitch and, if I didn't know it was coming, wouldn't have been any the wiser.

Good news, Bernie.  I suspect most people will have no problems with the SP, and many won't even know it installed during the night.

Ok, MS has finally rereleased SP3.  It appears it's the same as the previous release, but I won't know until I get a chance to download it again and compare the executables.  It's still a 316MB file available from this page at Microsoft.  If you have a good broadband connection, I would get it through Windows Update as that will only download the pieces needed for your computer, but if you need to install it on multiple computers, then download the complete service pack will save some time and let you keep it for any future installations.

I'm looking forward to further comments about the reliability of downloading the update.  Today's Windows Updates included it, but I unselected the download until I feel more confident.

Not a bad plan, Steve.  You can always run Windows Update to get the SP at your convenience.  I'm getting it <again> but won't be installing it until I read the reviews over the next week or so.

I disabled automatic update this morning. I'll wait until we get home, unless/until Ned reports no change from the prior download.

I've downloaded and installed sp3 on two of my five machines today with no problems.  Obviously, I haven't run every program on each unit but they are functioning on my network just fine.
One machine has XP-Pro and one has XP-Home.  Both were at SP2 prior to the update.

I will network install the rest with the executable that I downloaded from Ned's link.  lou

I downloaded SP3 last night and the MD5 checksum of this one is exactly the same as the previous one.  So no need to download again if you got the early version, they're the same.

Ned said:
I downloaded SP3 last night and the MD5 checksum of this one is exactly the same as the previous one.  So no need to download again if you got the early version, they're the same.

Did you install it and if so do you recommend it?

Back
Top Bottom