XP Service Pack 3 is available for downoad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ned, the saga is over.  SP-3 is loaded and running on all four of my PC's.  I mis-spoke in my last note in that my wife's Desktop was updated.  Shortly after my last entry SP-3 finished on Fran's Desktop and did exactly the same thing mine did, they are HP1450N clones.

Microsoft hasn't responded yet so I contacted HP via CHAT and they had me change a Registry entry -- INTELPPM Start from 1 to 4.  I have a URL that speaks to it if you are interested.

Thks for listening.

There is a known issue with some HP computers in that the HP image installed the Intel power management driver on AMD chip set computers.  The workaround is to disable the Intel drive before installing SP3.  This was an HP problem, not MS.

I have a new laptop that came with the Vista equiv of XP-home and was all set to blow that away and install a copy of XP-pro but decided to give Vista a test.

Now at about a month into it, I'm happy enough with Vista to keep it.  I enjoy about 90% of the improvements and can live with the few that I really don't like very much.  It does some things differently but adapting to them is easy enough so far.  SP1 was a clean & easy update.

Thankfully M$ seems to have learned a thing or three from the XP-home issues and did not dumb this version down nearly as much.  It plays nice on my network, runs all my apps and most faster than XP-pro with more memory, and is very well behaved.

I don't know about loading Vista on existing hardware that runs well with XP (I doubt I would ever have done that) but with a new system, it ain't half bad.

Just loaded SP3 on an XP-pro desktop this morning so can't tell for sure but it seems to be behaving as well.

Dell is selling computers right now with XP SP2. (customized from the factory).

Does this mean it would be wise to withhold the SP 3 update. Or what do you think the reason is? Enlighten me, please.

carson FL

That just means that Dell hasn't updated their image to SP3.  Eventually the computers coming out of Dell will include SP3.  I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

OTH, HP computers with AMD chips have a known problem with SP3.

I hope SP3 is available on a disk. When I tried to d/l and install SP2 it would not install properly. Tried several times to no avail. Finally got a disk from Ron and it installed the first time. If I don't need it I won't install it.

You have DSL in Conn, as I recall.  You shouldn't have any problems downloading the file over that.

Ned said:
You have DSL in Conn, as I recall.  You shouldn't have any problems downloading the file over that.

Ned,

I do. Also in Florida. SP2 did d/l and didn't show any errors but wouldn't run properly once installed.

Bummer, if you can't find someone local with a good download, I'm sure someone here can burn a CD and send it to you :)

Ned said:
Bummer, if you can't find someone local with a good download, I'm sure someone here can burn a CD and send it to you :)

That's what Ron did for me on SP2. ;D I may try SP3 sometime soon. Not in any hurry to add more windoz stuff that may or may not work. :)

I just put SP3 on one of my son's HP laptops & all went well. I have Comcast cable & it took more time to install than it did to DL. So far it seems to be working well, although I've not personally used it a lot.

So far, the only trouble I've read or heard about with SP3 is on HP computers with AMD processors.  HP has a fix for that to be applied before SP3.  I can say it's safe to apply, but as always, be sure to have a backup just in case.

Windows Secrets is a good resource.  I've been a paid subscriber since the Langa List that merged with WS.

After first making a fresh backup I installed SP3 with no problems noted.  I do not have an HP or AMD processor and Symantec software is not allowed on any of my computers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom