Refund

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guess you'll be getting yours the same time as those of us who snail mailed our tax returns.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to use our $600 to "stimulate" the economy.

Wendy
Cortez CO

Ron said:
Put it in your savings account like Sam did.

That's what I plan on doing. But it sorts of defeats the purpose of the refund which, the government claims, is to "stimulate the economy."

Wendy

Actually, if you think about it, putting it into a savings account actually does stimulate the economy.

The bank will have possession, pays interest to you and also can lend out more money to people and businesses that wish to borrow.

Hence the money goes into circulation and will "stimulate" the economy by putting more moolah into general circulation. At least the Government is not spending it on useless projects. Now they have less for "Income re-distribution", YEAH....

How's that for Economy 101 ?  :)

Just a thought,

carson FL

KodiakRV said:
Still not here.  Are you sure this direct deposit is linked to 2008 tax refunds rather than if you have direct deposit for Social Security or some other government check?

Aha!!!  I finally found out why I did not receive my "rebate" via direct deposit.  According to the IRS website:

[quote author=IRS]Also, if you chose direct deposit and requested a Refund Anticipation Loan (RAL) or had your refund deposited into more than one account, you will receive a paper check based on the distribution schedule for paper checks.
[/quote]

I had put most of my refund into savings, but had put a bit of it into a checking account.  Guess I'll wait another couple of weeks for a paper check...  :'(

Question about the "REBATE" check:

I am still waiting to get my check in the mail. It was scheduled to be mailed July 4th. 08.

Today is July 17 - no check yet.

Does anyone know if there is a way to find the status on the web? (Safely, from the IRS)

There is one ominous looking site on the web, which I wouldn't trust.

carson FL

I used this site to track our stimulus check. It shows that it was scheduled for mailing on July 4 and we got the check last week. It also gives a contact if you don't receive the check by August 1.

Wendy
Farmington NM
where it's HOT, HOT, HOT

I haven't received mine yet either, Carson. I did get a form letter dated 6/23 saying it should be mailed by 6/27 and if I don't receive it within 6 weeks (?) to call and inquire. But then the last paragraph says my application may be "under review" and I will receive either a check or a letter within 60 days.  So I'm not sure if mine is merely  late or is being delayed by some review procedure.

Why would they send me a letter saying they are sending a check in a few days and then finish by saying maybe they are not sending it for a couple months? Only a bureaucrat could come up with a letter like that!

They tell me to call 1-866-234-2942 if I have any questions on my incentive payment. I'm not looking forward to that call!

Gary, I got the same letter. Got the check about a week later. Spent it, patriotically! It's gone.  ::)

Gary, now my fun begins...

I checked the IRS site (rebate status) and found out that my rebate will not be forthcoming. They say that my SSN number and name do not match, therefor I am not eligible.

Strange, I have been using the number for 20 years, am receiving monthly SSI checks and made no errors on my 4/15 tax report. So..... seems to me they have a problem, not me.

I then called the 1-866 number that you published. (Tax Rebate Hotline). The first reply was that the volume of telephone influx is extremely heavy. Then they give a choice of number selections for more info.....

Well, that didn't do much good, as the text was precisely the same as what I got of the website.

That was it:  "Thank you for calling the IRS".  then dead line.

Now I have to figure out to get to the source of their problem. Anyone have a good phone number for that?

Wish me luck,  carson FL

Gary, a little more info....might help you out a bit as well.

In order to find out what the problem is, I called the IRS ADVOCATE Office. 1-877-777-4778

Ring:::  Auto answer-pick a choice-wait on hold===3/4 hour. Then get transfered to Customer Service==1/2 hour wait.  All this waiting with Strauss Music, over and over again. Please hold announcements every minute.

Then get live person on the line, give her the information, then wait for her to do the research= another 15 minutes, more Strauss music...... Then comes the answer: SSA sent over faulty Name info to the IRS for my wife.(Obsolete info with her previous name on it). She has had the correct name SS Card for over twenty years now.

Now comes the remedy:  Contact SSA, have them send an amended data piece to the IRS. This will allow me to forget about a rebate this year and claim it on the 2008 /1040 in 2009 as a Recovery Credit. Whoopee.

I called the National SSA number (1-800-772-1213), forget it, too complicated. I then called the local Ocala Office....10 times...busy,busy etc. (Did get an invitation every time to pay $1.25 for an automatic return call...no way.

My next step will be to visit Ocala in person and get it settled once and for all..I hope.

I told you it would be fun. The silver lining is that I won't spend the rebate until next year sometime.

Hope you have better luck.

carson FL

Your experience on the phone line is exactly the reason I haven't called yet. Especially since I'll be on hold on my cell phone, chewing up minutes of airtime!
Nancy never changed her married name on her SS card. Was only a minor hiccup in getting her SS pension - they noted the maiden vs married name and motored on. Would not be surprised if it was a major roadblock at the IRS, though.

A little good news here for those of us that got lost in the stimulus check program.

IRS to mail overdue stimulus checks

October 15, 2008

Washington The Internal Revenue Service says overdue economic stimulus checks will soon be mailed to about a quarter-million married couples who had been denied the money because a spouse's married name and Social Security number didn't match. When a couple marries and a spouse - usually the woman - changes names, the couple is supposed to alert the Social Security Administration. But tens of thousands have failed to do so and were unaware of the consequences until this year, when they didn't cash in on the rebate package enacted in February that resulted in payments to taxpayers of $600 to $1,200.

That's exactly what happened to ours. carson

Our check finally showed up in early September - supposedly mailed 8/28/08.  According to the published schedule I should have received it in late June, but all I got was a letter promising that the "check will soon be in the mail". Hah!

Hurray... My money is coming. Received a letter today from the IRS stating that my authorized check should be here 10/24/08. If it doesn't arrive within 5 weeks, call this number.. Hurray...

Now, being a good citizen, I already started spending the money locally to stimulate the economy. My battery in my Minivan went south today, after symptoms that I noticed for a week now. My local mechanic (good guy) was happy to see me. I bought the best... an Interstate MT-65 for $112.00.. should last me another 6 years.. Labor was $30.00/ 1/2 hour.

Then my swimming pool needed chemicals,  another $35.00 to a local company. I feels so good about stimulating the local economy, I should get a medal. Seriously though, please support your local merchants, it will pay back in the long run....

Have you ever heard of file 13... put this post there.  :)

carson FL

Back
Top Bottom