Hurricane UT as alternate site for Moab May1, 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArdraF

All,

While in Moab the group discussed a new venue for May 2009 instead of Moab.  Portal is still in a state of change.  The new portion has all new paved sites which are nice.  The sites are spacious and have good electricity.  Landscaping is partially completed.  They?re putting in the irrigation lines and electricity for that in addition to a swimming pool and bath house with laundry and a small decorative pond.  One of the Portal owners said they plan to level the old portion this fall and start putting in new sites there as well as a clubhouse where the pavilion is currently.  We were scattered all over the park site-wise.  Utah had a hard winter so progress on the new portion was slower than expected and some in the group believe it?s unlikely they?ll have everything done before our rally next spring, especially if they have another hard winter.

With that in mind, we stopped Wednesday night at the Cottam?s Willowind RV Park in Hurricane UT which is in southwestern Utah, just off the I-15 corridor.  This was one of the possibilities we talked about.  Here?s our initial assessment of this venue.

We all talked about the weather for May 1st.  When we arrived at Willowind on April 30, 2008 it was 79 degrees.  It was also VERY windy with high wind warnings and gusts up to 59 mph until 11 p.m.  Because of the high winds the visibility was poor all the way from Richfield on I-70 to Hurricane off I-15 (we assumed it was dust in the air ? you could barely see the mountains).  That night we put our satellite dish down about 9:30 because of the wind causing signal loss.  There were still huge gusts that shook the motorhome until well after 12:30 a.m.  Typically, this is what happens when a weather system moves in from the Pacific - it?s windy farther north and all the way down into Nevada.  Thursday morning the wind had died down and the air was clear with good visibility.

We agree with Phil that Willowind is a very nice and well maintained RV park.  The streets are paved and the sites all have concrete pads as well as full hookups.  The older middle section has a lot of trees so the sites there are not satellite friendly, however the new section has baby trees so finding our satellites would not be a problem.  After driving around the park we believe sites 151-173, 37-49, 64-73, and 22-30 would fit our needs.  See the attached layout photo in which Jerry outlined the best sites for satellite usage.  Also these are adjacent sites so we could be closer together ? unless the snowbirds have already reserved some of them.  We paid $33 for a back-in site.  There are a few pull-through sites but they are not satellite friendly and they only have 30-amp electricity.  The toad fits in front of the motorhome.  Jerry thinks some people may need 50-amp extensions because the electrical boxes are at the rear of the pad and some electrical cords might not reach the pedestal.

The office and recreation center are in a very attractive log cabin-style building (see photo).  When we arrived, a man was working on a crossword puzzle and several more were sitting at another table chatting.  This was the main ?lobby? area that everyone has to traverse in order to go to the registration desk.  In addition to the lobby there are two more small rooms, one upstairs and one downstairs.  The available room space doesn?t seem very conducive to either a potluck or a happy hour.  There?s a small kitchen but it looked like it?s more for the office staff than guests (you have to go to through the office to get to it.  The upstairs room is too small for a large group and the walls angle in because of the steep roofline.  The downstairs area is a large screen TV room and it seems like we would interfere with the management?s operation if we tried to use the downstairs ?lobby? area.  We didn?t ask about group use but if there are a lot of snowbirds, that might not be viable even if the rooms were larger.    The park was pretty full so the snowbirds have not yet taken flight, although the lady did say May 1st is not all that busy or full.  Many of the spaces have electric meters because snowbirds rent them long term.

We mentioned that a large group of us were considering coming here next year instead of Moab and because there was a ?No Refunds? sign on the wall we asked about their cancellation policy.  They have no problem with cancellations within a week of arrival.  This park gets a lot of snowbirds and some people reserve their sites for several months.  The no refund policy applies if you arrive after reserving a long-term site and then decide to leave.  That seemed fair to us.  She explained that one man had a Doberman that had been to training school so its owner thought he should not have to abide by the park?s leash rule.  This owner decided to leave rather than leash his dog and he was denied a refund.  Again, this seems fair.  As she said, anything within reason before arrival.  In discussing it she implied that the no refund policy was to prevent snowbirds from tying up a site for several months and then backing out at the last minute, but a group like ours would not have the same issue.

As to the location, it seems to be in the middle of nowhere and will take quite a while to get to any place we might want to see or to do anything we might want to do.  The Ruwards and we stayed overnight a couple of times at a place called Zion?s Gate which is also on highway 9.  For the Ruward?s benefit and others who knows the Zion?s Gate location, Willowind RV Park is 6.4 miles farther east on highway 9.  Going into St. George to restaurants or shopping is 16 miles.  Zion National Park is 38 miles east, the Kolob Canyon section of Zion (on I-15) is 32 miles north, and Snow Canyon State Park is 15 miles west.  Personally we don?t like to have to drive a long distance to do things such as daily outings.  This most definitely would not be a convenient as Portal!  In fact, I suspect that one time here would be more than enough for this group.  Twice (or maybe even once) would be boring.

Restaurants and eating have always been important to this group.  In St. George (16 miles away) we have Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse, Golden Corral, Ruby River Steakhouse, Chuck-A-Rama Buffet, Ruby Tuesday?s, Olive Garden, and lots of fast food places.  We drove into the Red Lobster for dinner and it was 16.5 miles one way.  In the GPS I saw a couple of unfamiliar places and one of them is Currell?s Fine Dining, whatever that may have.  We didn?t see anything that clearly was on the order of our three Moab favorites Sunset Grill, Red Cliffs Lodge, or Moab Brewery.  Hurricane itself has some fast food places, a JB?s, Molly?s (whatever that is), Catfish Charlie?s (listed as fastfood seafood), and a couple of Mexican places.  Oh yes, also a Dairy Queen so it can?t be all that bad! :)

There?s a huge amount of new construction (one explanation for all the dust in the air) and we saw several newer shopping areas.  In addition to the outlets along Red Bluff (St., Rd., or whatever) and the Red Cliffs Mall, we saw many scattered areas that include everything from Lowe?s and Home Depot to Dillard?s, Sears, Penneys, Costco, Target, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Coldwater Creek and Chico?s (the last two look like they?re brand new).  But again all that is at least 16 miles away.  There is a Lin?s grocery store near the RV Park (.2 mile) and Jerry checked it out on his morning walk.  He said it?s very nice with a bakery, seafood counter, and all the other things we might expect to find in a full-service grocery store.  Lorna, there?s a Curves next door and if any of you are aching, next to it is a chiropractor. :)  The nearest ?known? market is Smith?s in St. George.  The next nearest ?knowns? are Smith?s and Albertson?s in Cedar City (36 miles).  It seems like there probably are others in St. George, just because of all the new houses, but they don?t come up in the GPS.  Of course, we were following our noses while roaming around and the streets were so new the GPS thought we were offroading.  ?Jill? kept trying to turn us around and we were driving her nuts?.

As to other RV parks closer to St. George, Settlers RV Park on Red Bluff St. (below the outlets) is now defunct and looks like it?s been closed a while.  We stayed there once many years ago - guess that explains why it?s not in the campground directory.  Zion?s Gate (the one on route 9 between St. George and Hurricane) doesn?t look so great from the highway ? many more semi-permanents than previously.  It?s probably still adequate for overnight (think it?s a Passport America park) but not for a rally.  The Temple View RV park is still there as well.  We passed some others that looked nice, but also more permanent and not in the campground directory.

We?ll probably attend for a couple of days if the group still wants to go to Hurricane, but we can?t honestly say we think it will be as much fun as we have in Moab in terms of activities that are NEARBY such as four-wheeling, hiking, shopping, and dining.  Just getting to and from Zion will be a time-consuming 78-mile round-trip drive that detracts from the time we might want to spend doing things there.  We like to hike in Zion and can?t see driving there, doing a long and/or strenuous hike, driving back, driving into St. George for dinner, and then driving back to Hurricane.  That would be a 109-mile (38 + 38 +16.5 + 16.5) driving day.  We even thought of having dinner at the Zion Lodge, but driving back would be 38 miles - from Red Cliffs to Moab is long enough, especially if you?re tired.  To us that?s a lot of driving, especially when compared to Moab where everything is so convenient.

That?s all we had time to check but hope it?s useful.

ArdraF and JerryF

Attachments

• Hurr-1.JPG
    Hurr-1.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Hurr-2.JPG
    Hurr-2.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Hurr-3.JPG
    Hurr-3.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Hurr-4.JPG
    Hurr-4.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Hurr-5.JPG
    Hurr-5.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 45
  • Hurr-6.JPG
    Hurr-6.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Hurr-7.JPG
    Hurr-7.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 44
Ardra,

Thanks for checking it out and for the excellent report.

Tom,

You're welcome.  I spoke with Betty this morning and the current alternative being discussed is Ruby's at Bryce Canyon.  Lots of good hiking there!  ;)

ArdraF

All,

We're always trying to remember how long we were at Centermost-Estes Park and Moab.  I just came across our attendance lists so have dates.

We were at Estes Park in July 1997, August 1998, and August 1999.  Therefore, three years in Estes Park.

Then we starting having our rallies in Moab during 2000 when we changed to springtime.  Therefore, eight years in Moab.

There was at least one rally before Estes Park.  It was organized by the Binningers and held in Plymouth, CA.  Was this in 1996?  I searched on Plymouth CA and found references to Plymouth being in 1995.  Did I miss something?  Were there any other rallies (other than Quartzsite I mean)?

When I look at the old lists it's amazing how many of us are still in the Forum.  Truly Framily!

ArdraF

Somewhere along in there we had a small rally in a campground on the Sacramento Delta.  Ken Rasure and Bill Scott were doing some contract work in Stockton and we dubbed the rally "BS with BS".  Attendees:  Ken Rasure, Bill Scott, Bob Buchanan, Peter and Collette Cashmore, Tom and Margi Binninger, Frank and Barbara Barbera, come readily to mind.  There were others, but memory fails.  I'm not sure of the year but perhaps Tom Jones might remember because it was held shortly after a freak tornado hit near the Delta campground driving metal debris into trees. 

What I do remember:  mosquitos as big as 747's requiring us all to crowd into Peter and Collette's  large net tent room to eat dinner,  Cashmore's dishes smashing to the floor on the rough road into the campground, and the most horrible karaoke music you can imagine emanting from an adjoining campsite.  Definitely not a get-together for sissies.  ::) :D

Margi

Margi,

That must have been at the Tower Resort, mailing address Lodi, that now has a KOA.  There was a tornado at Lodi, 4/1/1996, 3:00 PM.  Isn't Google wonderful!?!  The time period is about right.

ArdraF

Wow ... good job, Ardra.  :D 

Actually, Tower Park is where we *should* have stayed.  ::)  Bill Scott was/is a true character and his choices were sometimes idiosyncratic.  Did I clean that up enough?  ;D  I wouldn't be surprised if the park where we actually gathered was now out of business. 

Bill certainly added a great deal of flavor to the forum back then.  Wonder where he is now?  :D

Margi

Bill Scott's rally was at Tiki Lagun and, Margi you're right, it should have been Tower Park. But I couldn't convince Bill otherwise. They're still in business, thanks in part to nearby "Lost Isle", a weekend magnet for boaters, alcoholics, druggies, and who knows what.

Ardra, yes, Margi's rally at 49'er Village in Plymouth, CA was in 1995. We have photos in our photo albums (click the Photos button in the toolbar above). If anyone has more photos, digital scans or print, please send them along. I'm still waiting for the promised group photo from Bob Zambenini (hint).

My understanding is that there was a Centermost rally prior to that.

The rally before that was in the Dallas area, but it wasn't called Centermost.  That came later in Colorado.  Ron and Sam Ruward were part of the group in Dallas and can fill in the details on that one.  I'm not sure if the very first Quartzsite rally, held in Fred and Daisy's rig, was before or after the Dallas get together.  Tom and I didn't come to Quartzsite until the following year.

The forum was such a "new" thing back then, it's hard to believe we've been around long enough to have a "history".  Does that mean we're getting old?  older?  Thank heaven for all the new forum members who keep things fresh and up to date.  ;D

Margi

Thanks for the correction Margi.

BTW I still recall you telling me "I don't know how you talked me intro organizing this" (the 49'er Village rally) ;D

ArdraF said:
Then we starting having our rallies in Moab during 2000 when we changed to springtime.  Therefore, eight years in Moab.

Including 2000 and 2008 makes nine years at Moab.  :)

Tom said:
BTW I still recall you telling me "I don't know how to talked me intro organizing this" (the 49'er Village rally)  ;D

Now, 13 years have passed .... and I still don't know how you did that.  :D  We certainly had a great time getting to know each other "in person".

Margi

LOL Margi. Maybe the key was to let you believe it was your idea  ;D  IIRC the location was in fact your idea, as was the pre-breakfast we had in Sacramento.

That was a great rally where we met a lot of neat people, many of whom are still in the forum today. Sadly, a few left us. Attendees I recall were: Binningers (you and Tom), Fred and Daisy Thomas, Don and betty Jordan, Bob and Joyce Zambenini, Dee and Larry Reed, Bob Buchanan, Lou Schneider (drive in), John Wilson, Peter and Colette Cashmore, Harlan Smith, .... Chris and me.

Now my memory is failing me; I know there were several more folks in attendance. (Wish I had a copy of that group photo.)

Tom and Margi said:
The rally before that was in the Dallas area, but it wasn't called Centermost.  That came later in Colorado.  Ron and Sam Ruward were part of the group in Dallas and can fill in the details on that one.  I'm not sure if the very first Quartzsite rally, held in Fred and Daisy's rig, was before or after the Dallas get together.  Tom and I didn't come to Quartzsite until the following year.

The forum was such a "new" thing back then, it's hard to believe we've been around long enough to have a "history".  Does that mean we're getting old?  older?  Thank heaven for all the new forum members who keep things fresh and up to date.  ;D

Margi

Oh, Margi,

We sure do have a "history"!!! I can't believe how long I have been on this forum. I remember the accounts of the Plymouth rally and how envious I was for not being there. I think there was at least one rally in Q before we all met in Tucson and journeyed to that location. I still think that is the best trip we have ever had as it was our first and we met the neatest people and had such a great time. I still have the videos of the three of us traveling from Tucson to Quartzsite in our Bounders!! :)

JerArdra said:
Was a decision made regarding the 2009 rally site???

Consensus was to move Rally to Hurricane site.  While details/dates were  not specifically  formalized we might call this rally a "Hop, Skip and a Jump."  We may stay 4 nights at Hurricane and then travel to Ruby's at Bryce Canyon with a final stop in Torrey.  Discussion was held that Portal RV Resort will be in a construction mode and that  many wanted to wait and  see for  one year. Lots of suggestions were made on  alternatives to eating out.  Campfires were desired.  There are many many more places to visit in our country and variety is the spice of life.

Betty

We enjoyed that trip, too.  I remember saying on the CB as we left Yuma, "Say goodbye to green, Jim."  :D 

Margi

Betty Brewer said:
Consensus was to move Rally to Hurricane site.  While details/dates were  not specifically  formalized we might call this rally a "Hop, Skip and a Jump."  We may stay 4 nights at Hurricane and then travel to Ruby's at Bryce Canyon with a final stop in Torrey.  Discussion was held that Portal RV Resort will be in a construction mode and that  many wanted to wait and  see for  one year. Lots of suggestions were made on  alternatives to eating out.  Campfires were desired.  There are many many more places to visit in our country and variety is the spice of life.

I wonder if anyone is interested in spending Car Show Weekend in Moab at the Portal?  That would be the last Friday in April and before the Hurricane weekend.

Phil

5/4/2008

Phil & Betty,

Ardra and I are interested in going to Moab again.  Because we usually do not spend much time at the Classic Car Show (April 24-25, 2009) itself, how about arriving on Sunday, April 26, 2009 because the Car Show folks will be departing that day?  In other words a reservation at the Portal RV Park will be easily available then.

Then we would like to join the rest of our RV Forum friends at Bryce Canyon (Ruby's Inn).  To see everything at Bryce Canyon we should consider 3-4 full days there.  By the way, we will adjust our Moab reservation depending on when the Ruby's Inn reservation begins.

After that we will go on to Torrey Pines with the RV Forum group.

JerryF & ArdraF

Tom and Margi said:
We enjoyed that trip, too.  I remember saying on the CB as we left Yuma, "Say goodbye to green, Jim."  :D 

Margi

Every time we are at that intersection I think of your comment. How true it was!! ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom