Hurricane UT as alternate site for Moab May1, 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty,

I was just looking up Torrey Pines and wonder where you stay there.  It looks like there are three campgrounds in Capitol Reef and others nearby but none of them seem to have the name Torrey Pines so I'm wondering what to look up next.  I only found a B&B with that name.

Also, I just reread your reply to Jerry's question and wonder about the stated desire for campfires.  There are fewer and fewer places that allow them both because of air pollution and the extreme fire danger, especially here in the west where wildfires are a constant worry.  I can say for sure that Willowind in Hurricane is a developed RV park and there's no place there where you could build a fire.  If I remember correctly Ruby's has BBQ grills but I doubt fires are allowed there because of the trees, so I hope people don't have their hearts set on campfires which may not be possible.

Just some thoughts.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I was just looking up Torrey Pines and wonder where you stay there. 

We think it is called Thousand Lakes.  We have stayed there 2 years and it is a wonderful campground.

Betty

We've also stayed at Thousand Lakes and agree it's a nice campground run by nice folks. IIRC Pennings, Brewers, Thomases, Johnsons, Russ and we were all there at the same time last year. It also puts me closer to fishing  ;D

JerArdra said:
Ardra and I are interested in going to Moab again.  Because we usually do not spend much time at the Classic Car Show (April 24-25, 2009) itself, how about arriving on Sunday, April 26, 2009 because the Car Show folks will be departing that day?

Wow!  Maybe I can arrive at a Forum rally before Jerry does.  :)

BTW, Torrey Pines is near San Diego.  Torrey, UT is near Capitol Reef.

Phil

Sand Hollow State Park might be a good choice for St George/Hurricane area.  Just a thought.

Barb

Overnight Camping:
Primitive beach camping: $13
Main Campground with hookups: $25

Directions: From I-15 take Hurricane Exit 16. Travel four miles to Turf Sod Road and turn right. Go one mile and turn left onto the main park access road and follow to the park.

Sand Hollow State Park
4405 West 3600 South
Hurricane, UT 84737
(435) 680-0715

ALL,

Thousand Lakes at Torry, UT sounds good.  Now all we need are the arrival and departure dates for Hurricane, Bryce Canyon, and Torry.

JerryF 

Phil,

Oh no!  I want to arrive before you.  Maybe I'll have to leave Moab early to get to Hurricane before you.  :)  :)  :)

JerryF

Betty,

Thanks!  I knew I had something wrong.

Phil,

Yes, I remember Torrey Pines from CA, but I also wrongly remembered Betty referring to a Torrey Pines campground at or near Torry.  I now know she was talking about another campground, but got confused when I saw the Torrey Pines B&B in Torrey (sic) UT.  Wonder if they don't know how to spell the name of their own town ???

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
got confused when I saw the Torrey Pines B&B in Torrey (sic) UT.  Wonder if they don't know how to spell the name of their own town ???

The town is Torrey (with an "e").

Yep, you're right Wendy.  Thought it was without the "e" on the map....

ArdraF

Much Kudos to those who were able to attend the Moab Rally, you really made the newbies feel welcome.  Liz and I had a great time at the  "Happy Hour" and visiting with you all.  We sure enjoyed everyone's company and are looking forward to the next rally. 

I hope everyone made it safe to their next destination.

Randy

Hi!

We enjoyed having you as next door neighbors and glad you went along on our adventures!  See you at another rally....

ArdraF and JerryF

Fuzzypixel said:
Much Kudos to those who were able to attend the Moab Rally, you really made the newbies feel welcome.   Liz and I had a great time at the  "Happy Hour" and visiting with you all.   We sure enjoyed everyone's company and are looking forward to the next rally. 

Randy and Liz,

I want to see some of the photos you took of the area. Glad you enjoyed the rally!

Betty

AlGriefer said:
Just a Thought.  Zion River Resort is within 10 miles of Zion and close to good restaurants.  It's certainly closer than Hurricane!

It's a very nice place but, a few people complained about Portal's price and Zion River Resort is much more expensive.  I am willing to spend a few days there.  Closer to Zion and Springdale but, farther away from St. George and shopping.  :)

Phil

Thanks Al. I just looked at their web site. Nice park, although their rates might give some folks sticker shock.

Tom,

Those rates are slightly higher than TGO but not by much. Given the location I'd go for the additional dollars. Camping today is not what it was just a few years ago. Everyone knows that people want to travel in their own "homes" and have adjusted prices accordingly.

We've been through Hurricane and didn't find much there to be exciting but we didn't spend any real time there. The Zion area would be much more preferred. Wish we could make it.

Tom said:
Thanks Al. I just looked at their web site. Nice park, although their rates might give some folks sticker shock.

Tom,
I've combed their web site and I am sold.  I think many of us would love this resort.  I have  a call into them for further group informtion.  I suggest anyone interested in an alternate or addition to Moab next year look at the web site.  The most basic  camp site is $15  a day more than Moab, but if I went out to eat one night less, it would pay for the difference.  :)  My thinking is still to make this rally the week following the  ususal Moab dates so those with hearts set on repeating Moab could do so. I'm  looking at May 4, 5, 6 and 7 and then moving on to another campground.  All dates are subject to the availability of reservations of course. I'm still checking and like you find it hard to plan nearly one year in advance!

Betty

I know some of you say that money is no object but for some of us, it matters. And with $50 sites (a 33% increase from Portal), Mike and I will skip a Zion rally. Maybe we can get a "frugal" group staying in Zion NP.

Wendy
Durango CO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom