Coach Died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
jerryarlyne said:
Hey Jim,
don't feel too bad, I fueled today in Palmdale, CA. Took 51 gals of regular gas and paid $193.00.  $3.78 a gal at Sam's Club the cheapest gas around here.

Jerry,

That $300 plus just got us started on the road. Second fillup was over $200 and we're only have way there!!! On top of that the coach just died at a light and we had to be towed to a repair facility. Sitting now in a motel room since their insurance regulations don't allow us to stay in the coach even though it's outside the building!!! This is going to be the trip from hell and I just might not make it again!!! :)

Ugh....sorry the coach is on the fritz. Maybe you need to come west next year???? Moab is calling you.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thanks. I'm sure they'll resolve it tomorrow, as I cross my fingers!!  We would love to come west but, as you can see by the cost of the fuel to get to VA, it's quite expensive right now. I must say that first fill up was not all contributed to the drive  north. I'm still expecting it will cost around $800 to make the trip to CT.

Jim Dick said:
Jerry,

That $300 plus just got us started on the road. Second fillup was over $200 and we're only have way there!!! On top of that the coach just died at a light and we had to be towed to a repair facility. Sitting now in a motel room since their insurance regulations don't allow us to stay in the coach even though it's outside the building!!! This is going to be the trip from hell and I just might not make it again!!! :)

OOPS, Sorry the coach is broke,  :(  hope it all comes out OK tomorrow.  I had to fill mine now before the price gets any higher because I will be using it to go North also, for about 1,100 miles to Idaho for the Life On Wheels conference. The only saving grace for me is I get paid "some" mileage to offset the cost.

Good luck tomorrow,

Jerry,

When is LOW?? 

I hope it is not soon as we got about 5" of snow today.  Most is gone but it was sure pretty this morning when we got up!!

Hi Jim,
LOW starts on July 6. This year it is in Lewiston at Lewis & Clark College. So I don't think snow will be a problem  ;)

Haven't you & Pat figured out that you should only be home AFTER the snow melts ??

Say hi and take care,

Jerry

Jerry & Ron,

I was hoping for them to get on it right away this morning. Went over around 7:30, they open at 7, and they hadn't started. They need to d/l some Cummins trouble shooting procedures. I'm beginning to think this is a newer repair facility with not a whole lot of expertise. I hope I'm wrong and they'll have it fixed soon. Luckily our insurance will cover the motel.

They did see that something was shutting down when trying to start. To me it sounds like it's not getting any fuel. Turns over just fine.

Jim Dick said:
I was hoping for them to get on it right away this morning. Went over around 7:30, they open at 7, and they hadn't started. They need to d/l some Cummins trouble shooting procedures. I'm beginning to think this is a newer repair facility with not a whole lot of expertise. I hope I'm wrong and they'll have it fixed soon. Luckily our insurance will cover the motel.

They did see that something was shutting down when trying to start. To me it sounds like it's not getting any fuel. Turns over just fine.

JIm,

So sorry about your breakdown.  It brought back memories of our repair in Oregon.  After umpty ump hours of diagnositcs on the engine at $125 an hour, they discovered it was a $28 dollar ignition switch. Like your problem it  turned over just fine but seems power to ECM switch shut down  At least that is what I think Terry said this morning.  Hope you get under way soon. 
Betty

Is there any sign of diesel leaking from the fuel pump located just above the starter on the passenger side?  If the Gasket on that fuel pump is the kind that is susceptible to damage from the ULSD it can start leaking and cause problems.  Haven't personally had any experience but I do carry the gasket.

Jim,
Bummer on the breakdown.  I read an article this morning that predicted a doubling in oil prices over the next few years.  And I was hoping that these prices were temporary. I wonder when they will start making hybrid motorhomes?

Hi All,

The problem was diagnosed yesterday. The ECM has died. New one is on order but won't arrive until Monday, possibly Tuesday. Good news is we are only about 20 miles from our son so we are visiting over the weekend. Last night they pulled the coach out of the yard so we could stay in it. I have to say they have been more than co-operative in trying to make our stay comfortable.

Robert,

My concern is the whole industry is slow and I may not make enough this summer to even pay for this trip!!! :( If things continue this way I'll just stay in Florida next summer.

Betty,

Sure wish my problem was the $28 part!!! The ECM is around $400!

That's a big ouch Jim. Those things are expensive.

Tom said:
That's a big ouch Jim. Those things are expensive.

Yes it is. However, we really can't complain as we have not had any major problems in 10 years of fulltiming and around 150,000 miles of travel. It's just too bad we no longer have a warranty. ;D ;D

Hi Jim,

Well, the good news is they found they problem, I guess they must have not been too new at least.

It just was a good excuse to visit the boy for a while I guess ;D 

I sure hope they are right about the ECM, Jim.  "Bad ECM" is the easy out for a tech who can't find an engine problem. Very rarely is it the cause, but maybe this time...

$400 for an ECM is dirt cheap - hope they are right about that too! Last I heard they were about $2000 with exchange and $2500 without. And that's an internet price, not through a repair shop.

Good luck!

Jim:

I replaced the power steering pump on our Freightliner chassis last month, $1400 PLUS about $1000 in labor. ::)

Gary,

I hope they are correct on both. We'll find out in a day or two. If it's $2000 then I might be stuck here for awhile!!!

Jeff,

That's a big OUCH!! Labor costs certainly are not cheap. I'm sure they are at least $100/hour but probably more since they are "specialized" techs.

Gary,

After writing my last message I started thinking about what was said about the part. The repair center did not call it an ECM. They said the injection controller was bad.  When I was talking with Chet he said ECM and I guess is took it to mean the same thing. My guess is it might be the injection pump which will cost the $400 and not $2000. :) Since I know nothing about the ins and outs of that engine it's easy to confuse me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom