Buying A MH from a Repo company?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gc24

Is this a good idea or not? Could they have been sitting for too long or do they have to really go through them before they sell them?

gc24 said:
Is this a good idea or not? Could they have been sitting for too long or do they have to really go through them before they sell them?

I'd be very careful on a repo. It could be a great unit but, if the owners didn't care enough to make the payments, I wonder how they took care of it. It could also be just a financial problem and the unit may be in tip top shape. Only an experienced inspector could tell for sure.

Thanks. You would think that if it is a repo, it was probably a finiancial proble. Don't they inspect it before they sell it?

gc24 said:
Thanks. You would think that if it is a repo, it was probably a finiancial proble. Don't they inspect it before they sell it?

I really have no idea if a unit would be inspected. If it's a bank doing the forclosure they may not know or care. They'll just want to get their money back. I agree a repo would normally be a financial problem but is it due to the owner running out of money or do they just not want to pay the freight any longer? ??? ???

Most, maybe all,  repo's are sold "As Is". Meaning the buyer assumes all liability and the seller, whether al bank or finance company, assumes none.
As others have said, they can be in good shape, or bad. You really need to look them over very carefully. My experience a few years ago when I was in the market for a motorhome is that the dealers at the auto auction bid the price of motorhomes and 5th wheels up so high that there were very few bargains.

Woody

Another thing is to check and see if it has a salvage title. If it does I would stay away from it.

Jim's point does not seem to be taken seriously enough.

Let's restate.

If a person does not have enough money to make the payments, where do you think that person gets the money to keep up the maintenance?

Why would you want a coach that has questionable if any maintenance?

Just like buying any used vehicle, you have to do your research.  We purchased a 1995 35' Newmar Dutch Star from a repo dealer in Virginia; the original owner maintained the unit well--it was the second owner that the unit was repossesed from, but he only owned it for 8 months.  We inspected the unit and researched Newmar and unit prices before bidding.  So far, we have had to replace the alternator, battery and the converter fuse, and have a chronic problem with one of the jacks on the HWH leveling system, but the quality of Newmar shows.

I will say that some of the units the dealer had looked pretty "well used"--we just  happened to be at the dealer at the right time to get one this nice.

I would say that you need to do a complete check up as well,  Put pressure to the water system, check out the electrical, fill the fresh water tank (At least a few gallons) and make sure the pump works. Check out the holding tanks to make sure rats have not holed them (Believe me it happens.  Thankfully not to my rig, but to another parked nearby at one time)

Have a qualified tecnician check out engine and drive train, INSPECT THE ROOF, SERIOUSLY INSPECT THE ROOF, Check out all features, slides, electric steps, leveling jacks, etc.

Sometimes, espically this year, someone buys a MH thinking of the great times back when gas was <2.00 a gallon and now seeing >3.00 looming they basically let it set, and sometimes due to the cost of maintaining /fueling their 4-wheel vehicle (Car) do not make payments

This can mean a great MH at a bargain price.

On the other hands, sometimes they move in, abuse the blazes out of it, don't maintain it, forget to ever go up on the roof which is now midlewed and rotted and leaking like a sive, and about to cave in, and... Well you get the picture

Charles said:
Jim's point does not seem to be taken seriously enough.

Let's restate.

If a person does not have enough money to make the payments, where do you think that person gets the money to keep up the maintenance?

Why would you want a coach that has questionable if any maintenance?

Charles (and Jim) speak my language. We'd all like to believe that "the (careful) little old lady from Pasadena" owned that used car that we're interested in buying. It make for good story....it was "babied". You can almost guarantee that maintenence doesn't exist if the payments aren't made. Lenders are painfully slow in repo so the maintenence has been painfully ignored for a long time. No matter how good your mechanic/inspector may  be, that kind of abuse isn't easy to discover. Maybe, with a display of service records for a particular coach, I might be inclined to suggest there's a possible exception.....but on second thought, I'd pass.

Back
Top Bottom