Short term U.S RV Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gilead

Thanks for your great forum.
I've been researching the RV market for a while and my intention is to fly from England to the U.S.A. to buy an RV, take a vacation and drive it to Jacksonville FL for shipping home. I'm a very experienced driver of Left Drive  and large vehicles. Is it possibe for a foreign national to get short -term (under one month) RV insurance? I can use my friend's Stateside address for any mail.
I'm grateful for any help
Nick

Welcome to the forum!  You might try posting this question in the "Visitors to the USA" section for a quicker response...

You might try posting this question in the "Visitors to the USA" section for a quicker response

Done!

Welcome to the RV Forum Gilead.  What type of RV are you buying..motorhome or fifth wheel?

I don't know anything about short term insurance, but I recall my insurance agent telling me a number of years ago that their (State Farm Insurance) RV policies were written assuming 6 months of usage per year. As a result, they didn't offer shorter term coverage. Obviously, this is not fulltimer's insurance.

It is the general practice here to refund any unused portion of the policy when it is terminated, so the policy term is probably not an issue. Be sure to ask before contracting whether the premium is prorated if you terminate the policy before its term, but I'm confident the answer will be yes.

Standard practice in the industry is to cancel on a "Short rate " basis when requested by the insured.  (That is pro rata less 10 %.)
Unless they have changed their policy Progressive will issue a 12 month policy with monthly payments that can be canceled at any time. 
They will also issue without a US drivers license , but it is expensive.

Tony

Tony, thanks for the reminder. When we first came to the U.S. and had no U.S. driving record, we paid 2X the premium for the first year.

Tom,

Since a foreign drivers license is unverifiable the companies that will accept them will tack on a surcharge equal to an accident or two on the record.  The last few years I had a number of Hispanic customers mostly with Mexican drivers license.  Even after they get a Arkansas license they have no record.  It takes 3 years to get a top rate with mostl companies, although some times were able to slip one by.
Today everything is computer underwritten and they can slip through.

Tony

Progressive will issue a 12 month policy with monthly payments that can be canceled at any time. 

Nick,

The above will be your best way to go.

If you do pay the full amount for an annual policy, and you cancel after a month or so, they will refund by cheque which will be a pain if you have since left the US.

Progressive will ask if you have an International Driving Permit (IDP) which you can get from AA or Post Office for ?10. You could just go without one as the document number is the same as your std licence number; though they may ask for it if you have accident.

Paul

January last year i took out a minimum 6 month policy and had a refund for the 3 months i never used,this was with a company which i took 6 months to get the rebate.
In 2005 i had a 12 month policy with Progresive and after i cancelled the policy after 6 months ,which was 3 days before we flew home ,the check was in the UK waiting for us before we got there.
Progresive is the only company i will use
Progresive will insure you with just a UK licence (thats all i have) for the past 3 tours.Never been asked for an International Driving Permit,even after being shunted up the rear
Best check with the insurance company if they will refund after 1 month
The policy will be expensive if you only have a UK licence but even if you had a Florida licence you will need to clock up 12 months insurance before you get a discount

UK-RV said:
they will refund by cheque which will be a pain if you have since left the US.

Have a look at auctionchex.com.  They handle most sorts of low amount money changing at a really decent rate and could very possibly take the US check and pay you in GBP.  I've used them when a UK buyer did not have paypal or a credit card I could accept and the service is outstanding.  Bank Transfer at a fraction of what my bank would charge, for instance.

Back
Top Bottom