Appears that BPL is dying or dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
According to this article, Broadband over PowerLines is just about dead.  This in spite of the FCC.

For several years now we (hams) have been warning of the dangers of BPL  We have been saying there is NO NEED (We have been proving that there is no need) that there are better ways (And again we have been proving it) in fact we RVers have been proving it for many years as well.

We prove it every year in Quartsite

NO matter where we go.. We prove it.

And what the FCC did to push BPL included

1: Rewriting starndards so many times the level of interference was allowed.. 

2: Conceal many reports not critical of BPL

3: Over state the client base.. Where they claimed thousands. actual research failed to turn up hundreds

4: Stated it was growing in popularity,  even as subscribers were flocking to other services like flys to honey

In short... The FCC lied, and the court called them on it.. And thus exposed the house of cards.

It's a loosing technology, has no place in the world.  and should be banned.. Save for one system made by Motorola which seems not to mess up the airwaves like the others do

Just came across this post. It ain't dead in Calif. It tears up my AM radio anytime I go under hi-lines anywhere around Santa Clarita. If it's here it's elsewhere.

Yes, BPL is being revived in some areas.  I'm starting to see industry articles on it again.

SCVJeff said:
Just came across this post. It ain't dead in Calif. It tears up my AM radio anytime I go under hi-lines anywhere around Santa Clarita. If it's here it's elsewhere.

First, are you sure it is BPL and not just bad power lines.  So CA Edison and LA Power are notorious for noisy power lines.  I had a lot of problems with both when I lived in OC. 

There is still interest in BPL but the newer thing is to use fiber optic cable for the power system controls, meter monitoring etc. and using the excess bandwidth for TV cable and phone services in competition with the existing services.  In some areas an existing service like cable is providing this service to the power companies.

Trust me. I know the difference between a noisy insulator and high speed data.

You would be amazed, or maybe not, at the number of Hams that do not.  I would contact the ARRL through your local section manager, if you have not already done so, and be sure they are aware of the situation.

I'm sure one of the local low-banders must know it's here. Anyone driving in the vicinity of I-5 & Hwy 126, or anyplace out around Santa Clarita that crosses the hi-lines can hear multiple carriers (at least 3 by my reasonably calibrated ear) taking out the AM broadcast radio. I've heard it under hi-lines other places around the LA area as well. It may be Edison using it as an in-house WAN with the failed experiment (isn't it?) equipment. I followed this in the beginning but never knew what the final decision on this technology or test results were.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom