Class B vs. Pop Up Tent Trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gc241

Thinking about a Pleasure Way unit vs. a pop as in Starcraft> Anyon ehave any opinions on thses?

Unless Pleasureway has begun using the heavier chassis like the MB/Freightliner chassis I see Leisureway using, my experience with a class B on a Dodge 3500 chassis was most unsatisfactory.  The manufacturers pack in far too much weight into a chassis incapable of supporting all that weight.

In addition the excessive rear overhang makes the vehicle unmanageable in cross wind conditions.

Before considering a Class B I would suggest doing some serious homework on the GVWR and payload capacity, loading up a demo to the max weight and driving it in windy conditions and on bumpy roads.

Have you looked at Road Trek?

Yea, I have, but not sure which model to choose. I am not stuck on PleasureWay by any means. Just looking to see the advantages/disadvantages of haveing one over the other and whci brands and models to pick from. I have heard that Great West, RoadTrek are good though. Never heard of Leisureway.

Motorhome vs trailer is an age old debate. The sort of B you are thinking of is classy and expensive, but still a small RV with a crowded interior.  For the sort of $$ you are considering, you can get a big pop-up with all the trimmings and a nice tow vehicle.

The pros and cons have to do with things like mobility (what do you drive for sight seeing and grocery runs), size/usability of bath & toilet, holding tank sizes (how long can you camp without a dump station), campsite convenience (leaving the campsite set up with a trailer vs breaking camp each time you need to use the B as a car), how many people need sleeping arrangements, etc. etc.  Think long and hard about how you will use the RV and some of the answers will become obvious.

You might also consider what is now called a B+, which is a B size chassis that resembles a C in styling, i.e. house body wider than the van body and with a cab overhang. The Gulfstream BT Cruiser is an example.

Thanks Gary, but wouldn't it be the same situation with the Gulf as with the Class B? Seem sthe price would be up there also.

Back
Top Bottom