propane water heater broken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahiburger

I am de-winterizing my trailer, and I can't get the water heater to light.  The trailer is 8 years old, I bought it used two years ago.  The propane stove works, the heat works.  It doesn't seem to be getting any fuel to the water heater, because even if I turn the knob to "pilot" or "on" no fuel flows.  It is a 6 gal Atwood, pilot ignition.  I don't know if it is a combo Gas/Electric, how can I tell?  There is a breaker for it on the main panel.

Thanks for any help!

If there is a breaker for it, it should be electric and there would be an On/off switch for it somewhere inside. But an electric model would have DSI ignition, whereas yours appears to have a pilot light (you have a "Pilot" position on the knob).

The "On" position won't work unless the flame is lit and sensed by the flame sensor, but Pilot should work to light the flame. As I recall, you have to hold the knob down in the Pilot position in order to light it.

It's working now.  I ended up getting the burner to light before the pilot.  This happens during the season at times as well.  I had tried that yesterday without success.  Maybe it just took a while for the propane to get all the way to the back of the trailer after the winter? 

My unit is a "pilot re-light" with a knob that you hold over to the pilot position when lighting.  It does not have a pilot button that you push in when lighting pilot. 

I also found out that it is a "combo gas-electric", great news!  The switch on the back of the unit has been turned off ever since I got it.  I guess the electric mode only works when the trailer is plugged into shore power, correct?

Thanks for the support!

Ok, here is the sequence of events on lighting the older pilot light type heaters

You turn the knob to pilot.. You push something (Perhaps the knob, or another button) and light the pilot.  You hold the pushed thing for one full minute then release it, if the pilot holds you then turn the valve to ON.

What happens during that minute is a thermocouple is heated by the flame, it then operates the very same valve you "Set" by pushing the button.

If the thermocouple is old, or mis-alligned, or of the pilot is a bit anemic,,, it may not get hot enough or deliver enough power, to operate the safety interlock

sometimes the main burner will, if you can get it to light, get it hot enough to pull in, and then the pilot will hold it.

Suggestion: Replace thermocouple and do a general maintance run on burner and pilot

I guess the electric mode only works when the trailer is plugged into shore power, correct?

Yes, that is correct. It is 120 VAC powered.

What make and model heater do you have? I've never come across one that used a pilot light and also offered electric mode. Especially in a relatively new rig such as yours (8 years old, right?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom