Pop Up Camper Lift Motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgileDobe

I have a new 17 ft Coachman since November which I  have used about 6 times as I compete in agility trials in Florida with my Doberman
and I am very happy with the whole thing, EXCEPT I don't like cranking to get it set up: Has any one tried the battery operated crank motor lift
lately> I noticed the previous lift mechanism was recalled a year of so ago so don't want to get into a recall situation.
Anne & Miss Morgan

[edit]header caps[/edit]

I had the option of the electric lift (battery operated), but declined back in 06 when I bought my unit.  However, I did purchase a 'socket genie' - an attachment for a drill, which will take the place of a crank.  Your drill has to meet certain requirements which are listed on the site - PUX (PopupExchange).  I've used my genie a few times with my electric drill (wasn't willing to pay the high price for a battery operated drill) and it's been very helpful vs. hand cranking.

Hi Anne,

I would think the drill adapter would be safer than a lift motor. It is too easy to crank the top too much and a drill might be easier to gauge than a motor. If one had to crank a turn or two after lifting it certainly should be an easy task. :) If a lift motor is used I'd stop before the telltale is too tight and then crank manually until it is set.

Sorry for delay - Socket Jenie can be found at www.puxtradingpost.com.  There are different Jenies for various models of popups.  I've been very pleased with mine, and had it within a week of ordering.

You can also find the solar bunkend covers at that site - reversible for winter/summer use and make a big difference in comfort (my favorite reason for liking them is they are so much easier to clean than are the bunk ends - bird poop and tree sap)

What kind of drill is the least I can get by with? My neighbor would loan me an 18V rechargeable for my next weekend trip to SC and it fits the socket Genie. Or should I consider
120 volt drill instead?

I have a bud that I travel with (when my wife doesn't want to go in the motorhome) in his pop-up sometimes and we recently added the electric crank.  It is great and the install was pretty simple.

Dunno about overcranking with your Coachmen.  We recently bought a Fleetwood Sun Valley with the electric roof winch and now I wouldn't be without it.  A Fleetwood roof cannot be overcranked--the winch stops automatically.  It's especially nice to have on hot, sultry days when working up even more of a sweat doesn't seem all that peachy to contemplate.  If Coachmen has such a winch for your pop-up I'd most assuredly look into it.  You may have to keep an eye peeled on a "safety cable" as it cranks the roof up to make sure it doesn't get overcranked--I think that's true of most pop-ups except Fleetwood/Coleman.

G[randpa]

I bought a 2000lb winch from Harborfreight for $50 and it works great on my '97 Westlake.  It took me about 2 days to get all the wiring done though.   

I believe a 24-volt cordless is the one highest recommended.  I did read a post somewhere about someone having success with an 18 volt rechargable, but remember reading another post where the 18 volt 'started smoking'!

Best wishes

Back
Top Bottom