Sage fly rods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
It's been a long time since I bought a new fly rod, but have recently been shopping around a little and was introduced to Sage products. I've been told that Sage is the top of the line when it comes to fly rods, and their price would seem to suggest that. Their latest offering is the Z-Axis. They sure look and feel nice in the store, but the only true test is while casting on the water.

Has anyone experienced Sage fly rods? If so, which models, lengths and weights? Any opinions on your experience with them?

What other top notch brands are out there?

TIA.

After some research and talking with folks who own Sage fishing rods, today I bought a Sage rod case. It was such a good deal and the dealer threw in a Z-Axis rod for free.

The rod is a 2-piece, 9', #5 weight, but I haven't yet had a chance to use it.

Next decision is a new fly reel. I learned today that Sage makes fly reels also but, at over $300 each, I figured I'd wait and shop around some more.

Tom,

Good luck with the new rod.  It would work really well however with a new reel.  We have both Sage and Loomis rods and although they have had peices replaced over the years thay have survived well...tim

Thanks Tim. Now I need to get on the water and use it.

Sage makes excellent fly rods; they are among the best.  Winston and Thomas and Thomas are also top of the line rods and I personally prefer Winston (since I was on their pro staff for several years). 

For your reel, may I suggest an Orvis Battenkill with disc drag.  They run less than $100 and are the best reel for the money.  If you want something a little more pricey, you might try Galvin, my personal favorite, but they'll run near $300.  The Sage fly reel has almost no drag; my wife likes hers, but I prefer more drag.  If you want more info PM me and I'll provide some web sites for good deals.  Having worked in a fly shop for over 5 years, I always recommended folks buy the best they could afford.  Regardless, the important thing is get out and use it!

Tight lines.

Thanks for that info on rods and reels. No fear, I'll use the new Sage rod. I'll also be checking out the Orvis Battenkill reels.

Tim,

I just looked at several of those reels on eBay and don't see anything special about them. Judging by the photos, some folks sure abuse their fly fishing tackle.

Just remember only the fly is what catches fish not rods and reels...... They are designed to catch fisherman not fish.  The manufacturers try to invent something new every year just force those fisherman with a "keep up with Jones'" mentality and very deep pockets.....

I've been flyfishing for about 45 years.....

cheers,

Bill

I've been flyfishing for about 45 years.....

Me too Bill.  ;D

No disagreement that it's the fly that catches the fish, but presentation is part of that. I've used mainly el cheapo rods for that 45+ years and haven't complained. But there's no doubt about the fact that different rods, same length, weight, etc, handle and cast differently.

I've been promising myself a "good" fly rod for many years, and it has little to do with keeping up with anyone. I still have my first fly rod and it's in mint condition. I recently sold another item of sporting goods that I haven't used for 20 years (also in mint condition) and the proceeds paid for my new rod, not deep pockets. Please don't burst my bubble  ;)

Rods do make a big difference as does plan ole skill.  One can have the most expensive rod but with no skill to back it up it just a show piece.  I am sure Tom has the skill to go with his new rod so watch out fishies here he comes.

Tom,

I know I am a little late into this thread....... But I basically use only two fly rods for my fly fishing. I think it depends on where and what you fish for. I have a Sage 8ft
4 weight for the little cutthroats and then my favorite - a TFO 9ft, 5 weight. The ironic part is that the TFO is a real cheapo compared to the Sage. Go figure!!!!!
I use Ross reels and they are excellent.  All my rods come in 4 pieces, easier for traveling.

Good luck with the fishing. If all goes well, my hubby and I will fishing the Salt River in Wyoming by the end of June and the South Fork of the Snake.

Mariekie

Thanks Mariekie. I'll check out Ross fly reels. I don't believe I've seen them, or maybe I just don't remember.

The Sage rod I bought is 9 feet, 5 weight, 2 piece.  I have one fly rod that has 6 pieces, and I was amazed at how well it handles and works. I was expecting some realy flat spots in the action. I have one 3-piece fly rod, and the others are 2-piece. I figured that, if I need the portability, I can use that 6-piece, although it's a 6-7 weight.

Be sure to post a fishing report (and maybe photos?) on the Salt River and the Snake.

TFO makes a heckuva rod, and Ross reels are good too.  I recommended the Orvis Battenkill based on cost vs performance; still think it's a best buy for the $s.  Flyline also makes a big difference in rod performance.  A key difference between Wal-Mart type rods and top of the line rods is weight.  The Wal-Mart rods are heavy and will wear you out after casting for a lengthy time.  When I worked at the fly shop, I'd always bring several different brand rods out and let the customer cast all of them, then recommend the one that they cast best.  Sometimes it would be $700, othertimes it would be $240.  Bottomline is that if customer had confidence in the rod, they were much happier, and a good caster can cast any rod well.  Also, as much as we fish (200 times a year), rods with lifetime warranties pay for themselves time and time again.  I've accidentally broken several rods, and it's pretty neat to send them back in with $20 or $30 and get a repair or replacement.

PS:  Thanks for this discussion as it allows us as new forum members to get acquainted with you.

I've accidentally broken several rods, and it's pretty neat to send them back in with $20 or $30 and get a repair or replacement.

That was one factor in the equation for me when choosing Sage last time around. I believe the $20 or $30 is now $40, but still a positive factor.

OTOH I recall my first "split cane" fly rod, acquired some time in the 60's. The top section broke somewhere down the road and I returned it to the store. They handed it to the factory rep who called on them periodically. I waited many months for my rod, but it eventually arrived with a new top section and an explanation that the factory had waited to match the wood exactly. I don't know what that meant, but I still have the rod in excellent condition today. I never received a bill.

Thanks for this discussion as it allows us as new forum members to get acquainted with you.

Are you kidding? I'm just glad to be able to talk to folks who like talking about fishing and who know what they're talking about. I'm also grateful for the advice I receive from folks like yourself.

Marikie,

It's so neat to read of another female flyfisherman.  Have fun on the Snake River, it's one of our favorites.  We have float fished it a couple of times.  We also have fished the Madison, although that's a tough one because of how fast and strong the river gets.  Please...Please post of your adventures.  I'll need a fly fishing fix.  We aren't going to make it flyfishing out in the Wy, Montana, Idaho area this year.  We plan to head up to Oregon in the fall for a month or so.  Pulling those 20"browns out of the water is such fun.  (I don't get those big ones that often)

Tom, I have a Orvis Battenkill and my sage rod is a 3 piece.  We spent quite a bit of time, throwing the rod in the parking lot of the fly fishing store and that's the one that really felt good to me.  Tim's rod (Gloomis?) is much stiffer and I can't throw it any where as well as my sage.  And the same with him, he's much more comfortable with his than mine. 

Marsha~

Marsha,

I'm still looking for a local Orvis dealer who stocks their reels. They're hard to find here in bass and sturgeon country. I might have to make another trip back to the mountains, maybe drive 178 in the car when I have some work done on the coach in Bakersfield, which might be some time soon.

Tom....come on up.  The guest room is ready to go.  Unfortunately the mattresses aren't "Sleep Number"; but crudy soft mattresses.  However, if we sit on the front porch and test Tim's Scotch you might not care how the mattress feels.... ;D

Marsha~

PS Do you want me to check and see if the local fly shop carries that reel?  I'm sure you want to pick your own; but at least I could find out if he carries them.

Thanks Marsha. I was thinking of driving up and back the same day, and picking up the coach at the end of the day.

I checked the Fly Shop's web site and he doesn't list those reels. If you happen to be down there one day and it's not out of your way, it would be great if you could ask in person. TIA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom