Alabama - US 231 or US 331 North from I 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BNTorsney

We are planning a trip to the Tiffin Service department in Red Bay, Alabama. It had been suggested to me, from I 10, to take US 331 North to I 65.
Having just received a new Family Motorcoach Road Atlas, on the Alabama map US 231 and US 331 appear the same. However, if you view the United States map, located in the front of the Atlas, US 231 is the only route seen. This fact alone, leads me to believe US 231 would be the wiser choice.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

231 thru Dothan and on to I65 is probably the best choice if you are westbound on I10. Red Bay is an out-of-the-way spot and not much to do once you get there except tour the Tiffin works.

We were at Tiffin last September.  My family is from Red Rock, Ala which is a neighboring community to Red Bay.  There really isn't much to do in Red Bay.  In fact...nothing!

However, if you like catfish, just as you come into Red Bay on the right hand side, there is a place called "Swampy Johns".  It's next to a gas station.....great catfish.  Another decent place to eat is the grocery store... ;D  At the back of the store is a small cafeteria.  When we were there Bob Tiffin was at both places (the catfish place and the store eatery).  It was fun to talk to him.

If you are looking for touristy stuff, the Helen Keller birthplace is in Tuscumbia and is interesting.  At least you are not there during the summer months.  It can be hot and humid with lots of mosquitoes and big biting flies.

Marsha~

Westbound

BNTorsney

Yes, 231 will be your best route.  As you approach Montgomery on 231, several miles out, you will want to turn right on route 271, (it will be the first traffic light as you approach MGM.)  In several miles this will intersect with I-85.  Take I-85 south to I-65 north.  This will bypass all the city traffic of MGM.  The exit from I-65 in Birmingham to get over to US 78 is a left exit.  You only have a short distance to get from the far left lane of I-20 to the right lane to exit on US 78.  Depending on traffic it can be a problem.  An alternate way would be to go to exit 262b, Finley Blvd, and take that over to US78.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Jim Johnson said:
.........................this helps.  Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Thank you, I plan to travel this section of US231 on the weekend, would you still recommend the two diversions (AL271, Finley Blvd.)? Also, as I get close to the Alabama/Mississippi State line, it was suggested to bypass AL19 in favor of MS23 north; I was told AL19 was poorly marked and hard to follow.

Marsha/CA said:
We were at Tiffin last September.  My family is from Red Rock, Ala which is a neighboring community to Red Bay.  There really isn't much to do in Red Bay.  In fact...nothing! ...................
Marsha~
Thanks for the tip on the restaurant. According to Mapquest.com, there is the Redmont Recreational Golf Club in Red Bay, AL; do you know anything about this golf club, is it open to the general public?

RV Roamer said:
.........Red Bay is an out-of-the-way spot and not much to do once you get there except tour the Tiffin works.
When you love to read, there is always something to do. Does the Tiffin Service facility have a comfortable place to sit?

Sorry, I don't know anything about the golf course.  But knowing Red Bay, I would doubt very much that it is a private course. 

Yes, there is a very nice customer service waiting area that is extremely convenient to where the coachs are worked on.  It's a new facility.

Marsha~

would you still recommend the two diversions

I would do route 271 even on weekends.  The Eastern Bypass around Montgomery is a zoo.  It would actually be quicker anyway.

As far as Finley Road, it probably is a toss-up.  It does not take you out of your way at all.  Also, there is a Flying J just past Finley Road at Exit 264 in case you need fuel, and that road will also take you over to US 78.

Jim Johnson said:
I would do route 271 even on weekends.  The Eastern Bypass around Montgomery is a zoo.   It would actually be quicker anyway.

As far as Finley Road, it probably is a toss-up.   It does not take you out of your way at all.  Also, there is a Flying J just past Finley Road at Exit 264 in case you need fuel, and that road will also take you over to US 78.
It's no contest, the two bypasses are worth the money. I also was going to fuel-up earlier, but I prefer Flying J for their RV Islands, so that Flying J is in the right spot at the right time - Thank you, local knowledge is invaluable when traveling in a new area.

Back
Top Bottom