Would you tow a 5900 lb 33 foot Trailer with a Tahoe (7800 tow capacity)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodlander

We are about to upgrade our travel trailer.  We currently are pulling a 27 foot ultralight (4300 lbs) and it pulls fine with a low end weight distribution bar and friction sway bar.  We are about to purchase a 33 foot model tomorrow but have some concern about the length.  The trailer has a UVW of 5900 lb and a GWVR of 7700 lb.  I found a Hensley arrow hitch and plan to install it on the new trailer.  The Tahoe has a 116 inch wheel base with a curb weight of 5200, GVWR of 6900, towing capacity of 7800lb and a combined weight rating of 14,000.

What do you think?  Am I pushing the limits of our tow vehicle?

Thanks for your help.

You need to look at the tow rating of the Tahoe and the GVWR of the trailer.  Stay with in the numbers.

Yes, a short wheel base tow vehicle is less than desirable for a long-ish trailer. But the Hensley is all but miraculous and will compensate for a lot of shortcomings.

I would suspect that there is a good chance you will exceed the limits of your Tahoe.  However, best to get the GVWR, GCWR, and check to see pulling the GVWR of your proposed trailer will be withing limits of your Tahoe.  best to subtract 10/20% from your Tahoe ratings.

woodlander said:
The trailer has a UVW of 5900 lb and a GWVR of 7700 lb.  I found a Hensley arrow hitch and plan to install it on the new trailer.  The Tahoe has a 116 inch wheel base with a curb weight of 5200, GVWR of 6900, towing capacity of 7800lb and a combined weight rating of 14,000.

What do you think?  Am I pushing the limits of our tow vehicle?

Yes, you are pushing it.  We like to allow a safety factor of 10% in evaluating tow ratings to allow for truck loads beyond fuel and driver and for state of tune and age.  In the mountain and Pacific west, make that 20% to allow for altitude and long, steep grades.  That would put your tow rating at 7020 lbs in the east, and 6240 lbs in the west.  Your tow is at best sub-marginal east of the Rockies, and way over loaded in the West.  Want to visit Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon, or the Sierra?

The Hensley is a fine hitch and anti-sway system, probably none better,  but it does not help your engine, transmiision and brakes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom