rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: size air conditioner  (Read 16511 times)

willjm3931

• ---
size air conditioner
« on: March 11, 2007, 08:36:29 AM »
I want to put air conditioning in my 1997 Camplite pop up camper. How can I figure out what size I need?
1997 Camplite PUP

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: size air conditioner
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 12:00:49 PM »
How big a pop-up and how hot is the weather? Generally pop-ups can get by with the smaller roof mount a/cs, which aren't all that small anyway. A Coleman Mini-Mach is about 6000 btus and all the rest are in the 11,000-13,500 range. 6000 will handle most smaller RVs in northern summers. Bigger rigs  or hotter weather need the larger sizes.

Or are you talking about residential style window a/c?

In any case, you have to be concerned about power draw. Will yu power it directly from the camp site power pole or plug to an outlet on the pop-up? In either case you are probably sharing a 15 or 20A circuit with whatever else you are powering on the site, but in the pop-up circuit you are limited by the pop-ups own power cord and circuit breakers.

[edit]fixed typos - no substantive change[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 09:29:19 AM by RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 04:10:09 PM »
I once mounted a standard window AC unit from Sears in the bottom of a popup,   To be honest, I don't suggeste doing this as they are not all that effective, sun load on a tent is rather great

I used the same AC unit (The very same AC unit) in my bedroom at home.   And later on a Scamp (replaced a window, did a bit of framing to seal it in properly) On the scamp, which is a firberglass bubble, it worked rather well.   For years I never saw another scamp... Then we towed it up to General RV and towed the tow vehcile back home with a Class A,  Since then I can't hardly climb into the driver's seat of the "A" w/o seeing at least one SCAMP on the road.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

willjm3931

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 02:27:42 PM »
I would like to use a roof mount in place of the power vent.  The unit is prewired and supported for a/c.  The extended length of unit is 22'.  The box width is 85" but there is a dinette slide out.  Open height is 76".  As far as temperature we would probably be camping in the summer at the shore for 3-4 days.  I guess temps could be in 90's.
1997 Camplite PUP

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 05:50:22 PM »
Get the full size model rather than the small one. The big one is usually 13,500 btus and you will need it for a 22 ft trailer in 90+ temps. The high efficiency ones (use less power for same btus) is well worth the price, in my opinion. Especially if you have to run off a single 15 or 20A outlet.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 07:39:06 PM »
If you can, I would suggest leaving the power vent alone and installing the a/c independently. An a/c unit is not a substitute for a fan when it comes to exhausting hot, stale air and drawing in fresh air - the interior part of the a/c is sealed from the outside air, so its' fan will merely circulate the inside air.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

cuts_up

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 07:49:33 PM »
One of our friends had a popup with a regular window unit.  They didn't even attempt to use it during the day, but said it did a great job at night. 
Kathy

coco8

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 08:42:01 AM »
How it was installed???? i need some ideas. Thanks

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:09:43 AM »
I've seen the window style mounted through the side/front/rear wall, down low below the folding part. Also seen the typical RV roof mount.  And I saw one that mounted a window a/c through the folding sidewall (it was a hard sided model) and it was removed to fold the pup down. Not a big deal with a 4000-5000 btu window type.  I've also seen the portable (roll around) a/c units in use - that may be the easiest solution for night tie use. Just move it out of the way during the day - even put it outside (with a cover in case of rain).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

PattieAM

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 09:34:07 AM »
You will most likely enjoy the Carrier Air-V 13,500 unit best - it comes with a template/directions for installation.  The carrier Air-V has a 'slinger wheel' which aids in the removal of condensation.