1997 Camplite by Damon pop-up problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HIKER7s

HI all,

Have discovered a problem with my 1997 Camplite by Damon pop-up.

We use this twice a year and I think I am seeing a result of keeping a tarp on it while it was in storage.

In putting it up this week to air it out, clean up and re-stow things. I found out the inside wood runners in the roof (where the supports are attached) are badly deteriorated, in fact one of the supports detatched itself when I was lowering it.

I can get by this trip on memorial day however I need to get this wood replaced. I am good with this kind of stuff but wonder if there is a specific way to go about replacing those side boards.

Just so I am clear here, it is the left and (while I am at it might as well do both) and right side of the roof housing...the inside wood is rotted and needs to be replaced.

thanks.

Hi,

Can't tell you much on fixing it, but I can tell you that you had better strap it down to pull it or in the event of a major windstorm. I had a 96 Camplite with the same rotten wood behind the latches, during a windstorm, while closed and latched, the wind was able to get under the lid and start to lift it. It ripped the latch off and raised the front corner (leaving my pop up 1/4 lifted). I tried to raise it and no good, tried to lower it and no good. Strapped it down 1/4 open (basically hauling a parachute) and after $300 just to get a repair estimate, I went ahead and contacted insurance and they ended up totalling it saying that it was not worth replacing the lift system. It was a real shame because there was not a thing wrong with it otherwise.

Good luck.

P.S. I have since replaced it with a new one and was glad to see that the latches are attached to metal frame now.

I don't know if tarping it caused the rot or not.

However as for fixing it.. I'd have to see the runners you are speaking of.. But if you are good with wood the only suggestions I'd make is cut the piece, drill all holes and such as though you were bolting it in

And then soak it in Thompson's water sealant (The stuff you treat decks with)  Soak it good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom