Tips on tracing an electrical draw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riverdog

Last fall I bought a used TT. The owner told me he thought he had a bad battery because it won't hold a charge very long. I purchased a new battery and it works fine, however if I let it sit for a couple of weeks it goes dead.

I have checked the obvious - lights, fridge, fans, basically anything I can think of that can be turned on or off.

I also recharged it and had it tested and it tests fine.

Any tips on tracing the draw???

There are numerous parasitic draws on a battery when parked.  The easiest solution is to add a battery disconnect switch to completely disconnect the battery from the trailer power circuits when parked.

If you have a multimeter and are comfortable using it.....

My trailer has a DC panel.  I started by pulling the disconnect.  Then at the battery you can measure the "parasitic" draw.  Push the disconnect back in and measure the draw.  If it is excessive you can pull all the fuses and put them back one at a time checking each one.

I used the Radio Shack Digital Multimeter that had a 10A range.

I disconnected everything at the negative battery terminal and used clip leads to put the meter in the circuit.

Joel

Joel - Electricity is my weak point.  So your instructions are a bit vague for my thick skull to comprehend.  I think I'll just go with Ned's suggestion.

Riverdog said:
Joel - Electricity is my weak point.  So your instructions are a bit vague for my thick skull to comprehend.  I think I'll just go with Ned's suggestion.

Good thinking.  Some of those parasitic draws are inevitable  -- like the propane detector.  Until then just disconnect the battery negative terminal.  The disconnect switch should go on the positive line.

Riverdog said:

That's why I said "If you're comfortable...

Joel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom