In-car fishing rod racks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
When you're traveling between fishing holes, or just need to switch rods, it's a PITA to disassemble the rig and re-assemble. They sell ready-made racks that allow you to carry 3 or more rods in your car without having to break them down. When I first looked at the racks several years ago, they were quite expensive, although it appears the prices have come down.

I previously decided to make my own for a fraction of the price of the ones in the stores. My first effort used a pair of telescoping shower curtain rods, and a couple of wall-mount rod holders attached to the curtain rods using wire ties. The curtain rods could be "hung" in the car by simply extending them to fit snugly above the doors.

My improvement was to use a pair of car clothes hanger rods instead of the curtain rods. The rod holders were attached in the same way, with wire ties. This setup worked perfectly in our old Suburban, and rested neatly on the grab handles. Somewhere along the way, before we bought our current Burb, Chevy changed the interior design, which required a minor change to how the clothes rods were hung.

Not quite as neat as in the old Burb and I have some ideas for the next "improvement", but the current ones are still functional, as I found out on our recent fishing trip in the Sierras.

The attached photos should be self-explanatory.

Attachments

• front_rod_rack.jpg
    front_rod_rack.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 113
  • rear_rod_rack.jpg
    rear_rod_rack.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 97
  • front_rack_mount.jpg
    front_rack_mount.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 78
  • rear_rack_mount.jpg
    rear_rack_mount.jpg