tech PAINT TALK! Trying to Paint our roof... and tips on what to use ? ? ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

28ft

Hello TeamCrew!

We have a couple small leaks in our roof and we are trying to cover the whole top with a layer of paint.  Any tips or experience in this area?

Thanks,
28ft

28ft said:
Hello TeamCrew!

We have a couple small leaks in our roof and we are trying to cover the whole top with a layer of paint.  Any tips or experience in this area?

Thanks,
28ft

If your intent is to fix the leaks with a coat of paint I don't htink it is the right approach.  Fix the leaks properly by recaulking or use Eternabond.

A few people have cleaned the roof well, and prepared it and painted it with Liquid Rubber or one of the other coatings. Minnesota Roofing, I think is one of the big ones that either do this OR sell you the stuff to do it yourself.

I saw the Minn. roof booth at QZ and the material looked like good stuff. If I still had my old MH, I would not hesitate to do something with a coating.  The Minnesota supplied stuff also stops the re-caulking problem
for a long time too!!

Minnesota Roofing and RV Specialties  http://www.rvroofmn.com/

Can you identify where it's leaking? If so, use the Eternabond as Ron suggested. If in doubt, check and replace all the caulking around vents, mouldings, end caps, etc. Ordinary paint, even outdoor 'porch' paint will not work. You probably have an EPDM rubber roof and that requires a special roof coating like Formflex 6000, available HERE.

Don't waste your time "painting" the roof, it will not stop the leak and you'll probably have more trouble with paint flaking off over the next couple of years than you would like.  Find the leak, a great way to do this is find a dealer or service location that has a Sealtec machine.  A large hose (apprx 18" dia) is affixed to a roof vent and a large blower machine and it draws air inside the unit and pressurizes it.  Then outside, a technician sprays water/dishsoap solution and looks for the bubbles!  It's the most effective way to find a leak because most leaks start in one location and water travels down and around tubular framework and comes in at another location.  If you have slides, fasten them down, I have seen them extend with the pressure!

Back
Top Bottom